I first started at Karolinska Institutet in 2013, where I wrote my master thesis. Currently I am on my third year of my PhD studies at the Department of Neurobiology, Care Science and Society (NVS) at the Center for Alzheimer Research, working with Associate Professor Maria Ankarcrona.
I also am a member of the Student Council at NVS as a Deputy Chairman.
- Master of Science from Stockholm University (Sweden).
- Bachelor of Science from Univeristy of Porto (Portugal).
In our group we study the role of mitochondria in Alzheimer's disease (AD). My main PhD research project is to understand the role of mitochondria-ER associated membranes (MAM) [or mitochondria-ER contact sites (MERCS)] in the AD pathology, with special interest in Aβ production and autophagosome formation.
I am also involved in side projects with my colleagues including:
- Identify new proteins and their respective functions at MAM;
- Characterisation of mitochondria in differentiated neuronal cells;
- Characterisation of MAM in synapses.
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- Gun and Bertil Stohnes Forsknings Stipendium (2017)
- JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Program (Short-term) (2017)
- JSPS Postdoctoral Summer Program (2014)
- Sven and Lilly Lawskis association fund for Natural Science research (2013)