Rikard Holmdahl Group
To obtain basic biological knowledge explaining the development of chronic inflammatory disorders (CID), such as rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis, we use experimental animal models. The goal is to identify prognostic markers and to establish new therapies for these diseases. During the next period we have the following more specific goals:
- To identify new pathways that control pathogenic inflammation using an experimental animal platform.
- To translate the identification of selected genes associated with human CID to the animal model platform and the knowledge of new selected pathways in the animal models to human CID’s.
- To understand the role of MHC class II genes in explaining the immune specificity of autoimmune disease and to develop a new type of vaccination strategy for treatment of rheumatoid arthritis
- To understand the new Ncf1 controlled oxygen burst pathway associated with severe inflammation and to develop a new type of anti-inflammatory treatment based on oxidants.
|Silvia Aldi||Research coordinator|
|Mike Aoun||PhD student|
|Biborka Bereczky Veress||Project coordinator|
|Michael Bonner||PhD student, Graduate Student|
|Liselotte Bäckdahl||Research engineer|
|Johan Bäcklund||Senior Lecturer|
|Weiwei Cai||Graduate Student|
|Gonzalo Fernandez Lahore||PhD student|
|Changrong Ge||Assistant professor|
|Rikard Holmdahl||Head of office|
|Nandakumar Kutty Selva||Research coordinator|
|Taotao Li||Graduate Student|
|Erik Lönnblom||PhD student|
|Clara Marquina Hernandez||PhD student|
|Emma Mondoc||Laboratory engineer|
|Jaime James||Graduate Student|
|Danielle Vaartjes||PhD student|
|Kajsa Wing||Assistant professor|
|Angel Yao Mattisson||Administrator|
Awarded PhD Students
- Mikael Andersson: 901214, "Self reactivity and tolerance in the immune system. Studies on T cells in murine type II collagen-induced arthritis", Medical Faculty, Uppsala University, opponent Antonio Coutinho, Paris.
- Tom J Goldschmidt: 910927, “T lymphocytes in autoimmune arthritis. Monoclonal antibody treatments in mouse and rat”, Medical Faculty, Uppsala University, opponent Anne Cooke, Cambridge.
- Liselotte Jansson, 940330; “Sex mediated influence in experimental models for rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis” Medical Faculty, Uppsala University, opponent Paul Wooley, Detroit.
- John A Mo, 941007; “B cell recognition of type II collagen in mouse cartilage” Medical Faculty, Uppsala University opponent Dan Holmberg, Umeå.
- Erik Michaëlsson, 960404, “T cell recognition of type II collagen - A cartilage glycoprotein of importance for autoimmune arthritis”, Medical Faculty, Lund University, opponent Polly Matzinger, New York.
- Vivianne Malmström, 970920, “Arthritis susceptibility and tolerance in collagen transgenic mice”, Medical Faculty, Lund University, opponent Erna Möller, Stockholm.
- Carina Vingsbo-Lundberg, 971108, “Chronic autoimmune arthritis in rats; pathogenesis and genetic factors”, Medical Faculty, Lund University, opponent Frank Emmrich, Leipzig.
- Ulrica Brunsberg, 980516, "The importance of major histocompatibility complex class II genes for the development of autoimmune inflammation", Medical Faculty, Lund University, opponent Ulf Gyllensten, Uppsala.
- Peter Kjellén, 991201, "The structural basis of MHC control in experimental autoimmunity", Medical Faculty, Lund University, opponent Sören Buus, Copenhagen.
- Alexandre Corthay, 000310, “T cells in autoimmunity, studies on murine type II collagen induced arthritis”, Medical faculty, Lund University, opponent George Kollias, Athens.
- Johan Jirholt, 001215, “A search for genes influencing autoimmunity. Focus on rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis”, Medical faculty, Lund University, opponent Holger Luthman, Stockholm.
- Mikael Vestberg, 010126, “MHC and transgenic mice. A study into function and polymorphism of class I and class II molecules”, Medical faculty, Lund University, opponent Jan Böhme, Stockholm.
- Ann-Sofie Hansson, 011019, “New models for relapsing polychondritis and rheumatoid arthritis, focus on the tissue specific response”, Medical faculty, Lund University, opponent Norman Staines, London.
- Åsa Johansson, 011019, “T cells, cytokines, and genetic factors in autoimmunity. Studies of experimental models of arthritis and sialadenitis”, Medical faculty, Lund University, opponent Linda Wicker, Cambridge.
- Shemin Lu, 020212, “Genetic analyses and vaccination of rat models of arthritis”, Medical faculty, Lund University, opponent Raimund Kinne, Jena.
- Lars Svensson, 020213, “Role of B cells and cytokines in arthritis”, Medical faculty, Lund University, opponent Hans Carlsten, Göteborg.
- Johan Bäcklund, 020924, “Studies on T cells reactive with posttranslational modifcation in arthritis”, Medical faculty, Lund University, opponent Ludvig Sollid, Oslo.
- Patrik Wernhoff, 020924, “Genetic control of autoantibodies in experimental autoimmune disease”, Medical faculty, Lund University, opponent Claudia Berek, Berlin.
- Peter Olofsson, 030527, “Identification of arthritis regulating genes in rats”Medical faculty, Lund University, opponent Tim Aitman, London.
- Jens Holmberg, 041210, “Reduced ROS production triggers arthritis”Medical faculty, Lund University, opponent Cor Verweij, Amsterdam.
- Martina Johannesson, 050128, “Novel strategies to explore the complex genetics of autoimmune diseases”Medical faculty, Lund University, opponent Karl Broman, Baltimore, USA.
- Robert Bockermann, 050523 “The role of T cells and T cell receptor polymolrphism in controlling pathways leading to arthritis”Medical faculty, Lund University, opponent Juan Lafaille, New York, USA.
- Estelle Bajtner, 050917, “Role of collagen type II specific antibodies in arthritis”. Medical faculty, Lund University, opponent Marie Wahren, KI, Stockholm.
- Stefan Carlsen, 051015, “Cartilage proteins and their antigenic properties in arthritis”, Medical faculty, Lund University, opponent Richard Williams, London, UK.
- Kutty Selva Nandakumar, 060127, “Analysis of effector pathways in arthritis”, Medical faculty, Lund University, opponent Birgitta Heyman, Uppsala, Sweden
- Lina Olsson, 071130, “Genetic and genomic analysis of arthritis regulating regions in human and mouse.” Medical faculty, Lund University, opponent Janna Saarela, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland.
- Emma Ahlqvist, 071201, “Identification of arthritis susceptibility genes in mice and humans” Medical faculty, Lund University, opponent Jonathan Flint, Oxford University, Oxford, UK.
- Malin Hultqvist, 071214, “The role of reactive oxygen species in animal models of autoimmunity” Medical faculty, Lund University, opponent Philip Hawkins, The Babraham Institute, Cambridge, UK.
- Carola Rintisch, 090213, "From Disease to the Gene-identification of arthritis-regulating loci in rats" Medical faculty, Lund University, opponent Abdelhadi Saoudi, National Institute of Health and Medical Research, University Paul Sabatier, Hospital Purpan, Toulouse, France
- Therese Lindvall, 091127, "From Disease to Genes in Animal Models of Rheumatoid Arthritis and Multiple Sclerosis" Medical faculty, Lund University, opponent Krisitna Lejon, Immunology, Umeå University
- Angela Pizzolla, 111209, "The role of Macrophages in Regulating Inflammation by Oxidative Burst". Karolinska Institutet, opponent Kristoffer Hellstrand, Gothenburg University
- Michael Förster, 121027, "The Genetics of Experimental Arthritis in Rodents", Karolinska Institutet, opponent Göran Andersson, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala
- Bruno Raposo, 121130, "Genetic Regulation of Autoantibodies in Arthritis: Lessons From Mouse Models". Karolinska Institutet, opponent Dan Holmberg, Cophenhagen University, Denmark
- Ingrid Lindh, 130412, "Autoantibody Recognition of Collagen Type II in Arthritis". Karolinska Institutet, opponent Leendert Trouw, Leiden University, Netherlands
- Tiina Kelkka, 130426, "Reactive oxygen species in inflammation", University of Turku, opponent Lars Ronnblom, Uppsala University, Sweden
- Jonatan Tuncel, 130601, "Functional and Genetic Analyses of the MHC and its impact on Autoimmunity in the Rat", Karolinska Institute, opponent Jacques Neefjes, Netherlands Cancer Institute, Netherlands
- Sabrina Haag, 140412, "The MHC and the Recognition of Self and Altered Self in Experimental and Rheumatoid Arthritis" Karolinska Institute, Lars Fugger, University of Oxford, UK
- Simon Guérard 160901 “Investigations of T cell driven arthritis induced by mannan in ZAP70 mutated SKG mice". Opponent Mattias Magnusson, Linköpings universitet.
- Anthony Yau 161209 “Positional idnetifcation and functional analysis of genes regulating autoimmune arthritis” Karolinska Institutet, Opponent Prof Edward Wakeland, Dallas.
- Ulrika Norin 170324 "Identification of genetic variants and their implications in autoimmunity", Opponent Marie Malissen, från Centre d’Immunologic de Marseille-Luminy France.
Per Larsson (1989), Inga Hansson (1993), Ingrid Teige (2004), Jinan Li (2004), Meirav Holmdahl (2005), Jenny Karlsson (2005), Alexandra Treschow (2005), Patrick Merky (2011), Dorota Klaczkowska (2012), Ia Khmaladze (2014), Simon Guèrard (2016)
SEK 15 million in project funding from the Erling-Persson Foundation
Two researchers at Karolinska Institutet receive a total of SEK 15 million in project funding from the Erling-Persson Foundation. The funding is awarded over a three-year period.
In its support of scientific research the Erling-Persson Family Foundation prioritizes...