Information for BIC Users
Both new and regular users of the BIC facility can find useful information here. Learn about how you get access to the building, booking system and instruments.
Please contact us if you need further information on any matter regarding your access as a user within our facility.
Reserve a slot on an instrument/workstation
If you are interested in using the BIC facility services for your research, please contact us.
After receiving your request we will contact you to schedule a session for an introduction. You will also get a login to our booking system (iLab).
Try to be as specific as possible by adding information about:
- Type of samples (e.g. fixed or live, cells or tissue)
- Sample carrier (e.g. slides, dishes, plates)
- Choice of fluorophores
- Short description of what you plan to image
After we have received your request (by e-mail or iLab) we will contact you to schedule a session as soon as possible.
In general, we can schedule your training/introduction within two weeks after receiving your request. Occasionally this time estimation may be effected by factors like the availability of the instrument and/or staff and also whether your samples are ready.
Please, let us know if you need to cancel your session.
BIC uses iLab as an administrative tool for scheduling microscope sessions and creating invoices.
When you complete training for an instrument you will get access to make reservations in iLab for that particular instrument.
BIC Rules & Information
1. Only trained users are allowed to operate the microscope systems at BIC. Training can only be performed by BIC staff. Training requests can be submitted through the KI core facility management software iLab (https://karolinska.corefacilities.org/account/login).
2. Entrance to the BIC areas requires an active KI card and is granted by BIC staff.
3. The microscope systems at BIC can only be booked via iLab. The microscope software is locked via the iLab interface Kiosk and needs to be unlocked before starting your session.
- Cancellations <1h before is charged 30 min usage
- An actual 'No Show' session will be charged according to the booked time (max 6 hrs)
- 'No Show' caused by late arrival (>30 min) is charged from the start of the booking
4. There is a booking limit for our confocal microscope systems:
- Users can book up to a maximum of 12hrs/week for core hours (8:00-20:00).
- ‘Last minute’ booking (booking on the same day as usage) is without time restriction above.
- Long term sessions on the confocal microscope systems are possible outside the core hours.
5. Image data can be stored on the microscope computers and the workstations for a short term (approx. 1 month). Image data older than 3 months will be removed from the HDs without notification by the BIC staff.
6. In case of microscopy incidents, users must contact BIC staff by email (BIC@KI.se) or report in the Kiosk interface of iLab.
For general incidents, follow the KI instructions at https://education.ki.se/incidents-in-case-something-has-happened and https://staff.ki.se/report-an-incident.
7. We also allow users to wear gloves while operating the microscope systems and computer equipment.
Access and Floor Maps to BIC Services
Entering Biomedicum and the BIC areas require a functional KI access card that needs to be activated at the Biomedicum front desk. Furthermore, before you can start to work in Biomedicum, you also need to pass a lab safety test.
The instruments and workstations are located on Floor 2 and Floor 6.
Locations for BIC services (Biomedicum)
Events at BIC
Events at BIC
Bring your questions to our BIC Imaging Clinic.
The Imaging Clinic is a regular weekly activity organised by the BIC facility.
Send us an e-mail or give us a call if you have urgent issues or want to schedule time for training, introduction or consultation.