Research group - Eleni Aklillu
We conduct large multi-national clinical pharmacology research projects with focus on Global and major public health problems.
We investigate genetic and environmental factors that are of importance in determining inter-individual and inter-ethnic variations in treatment response, and susceptibility to adverse events such as drug induced liver and CNS toxicity. We are conducting several case-control, parallel comparative, prospective observational studies, randomized clinical trials, drug interaction and dose optimization studies in various patient cohorts including adult, children and pregnant women. We are working on treatment optimization of several communicable and non-communicable diseases including the three most deadly infectious diseases (HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria), neglected tropical diseases, breast cancer and antimicrobial resistance that claim millions of lives worldwide, especially in sub Saharan Africa. For the past 15 years, we have been conducting several pharmacogenetics, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacodynamics, drug-drug interaction studies in well-characterized large prospective patient cohorts in East Africa (Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda). Through the PROFORMA project ( http://proforma.ki.se/), we are currently conducting pharmacovigilance and post marketing surveillance of mass drug administration and vaccinations in Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania and Rwanda. Our goal is to provide evidence-based recommendations for personalized medicine, and for policymakers to improve/revise treatment guidelines and global health policies.
- Treatment optimization of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria - 'The big three”
- Maternal and child health
- Neglected tropical diseases (diverse group of infectious diseases that are endemic in tropical and subtropical regions, such as schistosomiasis, leishmaniosis, onchocerciasis)
- Discovery and validation of novel genetic, metabolic and proteomic biomarker for drug induced liver toxicity
- Non-communicable diseases (breast cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases)
- Antimicrobial resistance, community and hospital acquired infections.
- Pharmacovigilance and post-marketing surveillance in public health program involving mass-drug-administration and immunization.
Research group leader Eleni Aklillu
|Telefon:||08-524 875 43|
|Tigist Dires Gebreyesus||Doktorand|
|Eulambius Mathias Mlugu||Doktorand|
|Rajabu Hussein Mnkugwe||Doktorand|
|Birkneh Tilahun Tadesse||Doktorand|
European Union, H2020 - European and developing countries clinical trial partnership (EDCTP), Swedish research council, Swedish development cooperation agency (Sida), MSB-Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency, Astra-Zeneca
- Biomarker discovery and validation
- Quantitative PCR
- PK-PD-PG modelling
- Epigenetic studies
- Research methodology,
- Pharmacology Pharmacogenetics
- Infectious diseases pharmacology
- Antiretroviral pharmacology
- Antimalarial drugs Pharmacology