Equity and Health Policy (EHP)
The Equity and Health Policy research group does interdisciplinary studies of social differentials and trends over time in health, health-related quality of life, morbidity, mortality, health care utilisation, social and economic consequences of disease. As well as the impact of policy on health in specific groups in different contexts, using innovative quantitative and qualitative methods.
The aim is to facilitate equity-oriented health policy making.
The research group collaborates with the Health Outcomes and Economic Evaluation research group at the Department of Learning, Informatics, Management and Ethics.
Members of the research group currently work on Swedish and international projects regarding inequalities in health and health-related quality of life; social differences in social consequences of disease; policies to include persons with chronic illness in the labour market; equity in health care utilisation; health among disadvantaged groups and among populations in disadvantaged areas.
The complexity of projects and data in has increased over time and methodological and statistical challenges have increased with them. The members of the research group have a close collaboration with the Biostatistics Team at the department.
Current/recent research projects
- Social inequalities in aging on inequalities in health care utilization among elderly persons in the Nordic countries (NordForsk)
- The impact of market oriented reforms and management models: Can integrated care mitigate the adverse effects among older people with greater needs? (Forte)
- Organization and response to covid-19 of municipal health and social care services for older people – impact on mortality and health care utilization in Region Stockholm (VR)
- Equity aspects of the choice reform in primary care in Stockholm County Council (Forte)
- Effects of extended home visiting to first-time parents in Rinkeby (Public Health Agency of Sweden)
- European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) (2018-2019) for the project ‘Dose-response relationships in health risk assessment of nutritional and toxicological factors in food: development and application of novel biostatistical methods’
- EURO-HEALTHY on policies to reduce inequalities in health in Europe (EU/Horizon 2020)
- THRIVE on inequalities in extending working lives (EU Joint Programme Initiative/Forte)
Examples of recent publications
- Almroth M, Hemmingsson T, Sörberg Wallin A, Kjellberg K, Burström B, Falkstedt D. Psychosocial working conditions and the risk of diagnosed depression: a Swedish register-based study. Psychol Med. 2021 Mar 8:1-9. doi: 10.1017/S003329172100060X. Online ahead of print. PMID: 33682646
- Jonsson J, Matilla-Santander N, Kreshpaj B, Orellana C, Johansson G, Burström B, Alderling M, Peckham T, Kjellberg K, Selander J, Östergren PO, Bodin T. Exploring multidimensional operationalizations of precarious employment in Swedish register data - a typological approach and a summative score approach. Scand J Work Environ Health. 2021 Mar 1;47(2):117-126. doi: 10.5271/sjweh.3928.
- Jonsson J, Matilla-Santander N, Kreshpaj B, Johansson G, Kjellberg K, Burström B, Östergren PO, Nilsson K, Strömdahl S, Orellana C, Bodin T. Precarious employment and general, mental and physical health in Stockholm, Sweden: a cross-sectional study. Scand J Public Health. 2021 Mar;49(2):228-236. doi: 10.1177/1403494820956451.
- Barboza M, Marttila A, Burström B, Kulane A. Contributions of Preventive Social Services in Early Childhood Home Visiting in a Disadvantaged Area of Sweden: The Practice of the Parental Advisor. Qual Health Res. 2021 Feb 28:1049732321994538. doi: 10.1177/1049732321994538. Online ahead of print. PMID: 33645337 Free article.
- Filippini T, Malavolti M, Whelton PK, Naska A, Orsini N, Vinceti M. Blood Pressure Effects of Sodium Reduction: Dose-Response Meta-Analysis of Experimental Studies. Circulation 2021 Feb 15. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.120.050371. Online ahead of print. PMID: 33586450
- McAllister A, Burström B, Corrigan P. Cultural adaptation and validation of the Attribution Questionnaire for stigma towards disability pension applicants for use among psychiatrists and general practitioners in Sweden. BMC Psychol. 2021 Feb 8;9(1):27. doi: 10.1186/s40359-021-00523-8.PMID: 33557930 Free PMC article.
- McAllister A, Milner A, Engblom M, Corrigan P, Burström B. Physicians' attitudes to disability pension - impact of diagnosis: an experimental study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2021 Feb 5;21(1):122. doi: 10.1186/s12913-020-06043-2.PMID: 33546681 Free PMC article.
- Vengberg S, Fredriksson M, Burström B, Burström K, Winblad U. Money matters - primary care providers' perceptions of payment incentives. J Health Organ Manag. 2021 Feb 2; ahead-of-print(ahead-of-print). doi: 10.1108/JHOM-06-2020-0225.PMID: 33522211 Free article.
- Matilla-Santander N, Ahonen E, Albin M, Baron S, Bolíbar M, Bosmans K, Burström B, Cuervo I, Davis L, Gunn V, Håkansta C, Hemmingsson T, Hogstedt C, Jonsson J, Julià M, Kjellberg K, Kreshpaj B, Lewchuk W, Muntaner C, O'Campo P, Orellana C, Östergren PO, Padrosa E, Ruiz ME, Vanroelen C, Vignola E, Vives A, Wegman DH, Bodin T; All Members of the PWR Study Consortium. COVID-19 and Precarious Employment: Consequences of the Evolving Crisis. Int J Health Serv. 2021 Jan 11:20731420986694. doi: 10.1177/0020731420986694. Online ahead of print. PMID: 33430684 Free article.
- Wang X, Chen J, Yang Y, Burström B, Burström K. Validation of the patient-reported experience measure for care in Chinese hospitals (PREM-CCH). Int J Equity Health. 2021 Jan 7;20(1):25. doi: 10.1186/s12939-020-01370-6.PMID: 33413446 Free PMC article.
- Doheny M, Agerholm J, Orsini N, Schön P, Burström B. Impact of integrated care on trends in the rate of emergency department visits among older persons in Stockholm County: an interrupted time series analysis. BMJ Open. 2020 Jun 3;10(6):e036182. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2019-036182.PMID: 32499268 Free PMC article.
Doctoral theses defended for the last 5 years.
- Shaofan Chen (2020) Will diabetes care move closer to rural patients in rural China? Assessing the impact of an educational intervention for type 2 diabetes among patients and health care professionals in rural China
- Alessio Crippa (2018) - Development of novel statistical methods for meta-analysis
- Janne Agerholm (2016) - Analysing equity in outpatient care in Stockholm County and the impact of using different data sources
- Johanna Falk (2015) - Social differentials in health-related non-employment and poverty: studies on consequences of limiting longstanding illness, musculoskeletal and mental disorders
Selected scientific publications
Liljas AEM, Brattström F, Burström B, Schön P, Agerholm J Impact of Integrated Care on Patient-Related Outcomes Among Older People - A Systematic Review. Int J Integr Care. 2019 Jul 24;19(3):6. doi: 10.5334/ijic.4632.