Swedish personal identity number

International students who study in Sweden for 12 months or longer (more than 2 semesters) can apply for a 10-digit Swedish personal identity number, 'personnummer'. This entitles you to the same health care as a Swedish citizen, enables you to set up plans for internet, mobile phones and more as well as makes your life easier in general when it comes to bank accounts, library access, getting paid if you are working and so on.

The Swedish Tax Agency 'Skatteverket' is the authority responsible for issuing the personal identity number.

Registration must be done in person at one of Skatteverkets service offices. When you go to register at Skatteverket you must take the following with you:

  • Valid passport proving your citizenship (or national ID for EU/EEA citizens)
  • Invitation Letter/Notification of Selection Results as proof of admission to the university (showing length of studies)
  • Registration certificate (proof of enrolment)
  • Information regarding your (temporary) address in Sweden, including apartment number
  • Residence permit: UT card + decision (Non EU/EEA citizens, including Swiss citizens)
  • Assurance signed by yourself that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay (EU/EEA citizens)
  • Valid European Health Insurance card (EU/EEA citizens)
  • (If applicable) Documents proving marital status (original or a certified copy)
  • (If applicable) Birth certificates for children (original or a certified copy)

Students with Swedish personal identity number have the legal duty to:

  • Report the change of address within Sweden to the Swedish Tax Agency on-line via: www.adressandring.se or by visiting the tax office in person.
  • Report to the Swedish Tax Agency when moving from Sweden at the end of your studies (no later than 1 week before departure!) by submitting the form; SKV 7665b, Notification, Moving Abroad.

When leaving Sweden

If you plan to move abroad (that is, leave Sweden after you have a personal identity number) and plan to stay for a year or longer, you must notify the Tax Agency so that your registration can be corrected. Your notification must reach the Tax Agency at least a week before you leave. If you plan to stay abroad for a period shorter than a year, but then decide to extend your stay you should also immediately notify the Swedish Tax Agency.

The regulations for population registration when you reside abroad also apply when you are studying. If you study abroad for a year or longer, you must notify the Swedish Tax Agency that you are moving abroad.

Read more on the Skatteverket website
To the Notification of moving abroad form