KI - CSC Programme
The China Scholarship Council (CSC) and Karolinska Institutet signed an agreement in August, 2015. The agreement entitles KI to receive up to 30 doctoral students, 20 post-doc fellows, 5 senior visiting researchers, and 5 master degree students supported by CSC scholarships per year during 2016-2020. For the master degree students, the scholarship recipients will also receive a CSC-KI joint support to cover tuition fees.
Current support from CSC to doctoral students is SEK12,000/month, for postdoc fellows SEK13,000/month for a period of 6-24 months, for senior visiting researchers SEK15,000/month for 3-12 months. KI supervisors for post-docs and registered doctoral students must top up the CSC stipend to the minimum level required by KI with either a complementary scholarships or by part time employment (https://internwebben.ki.se/en/doctoral-students-external-scholarships).
Note, the CSC scholarship is sought and awarded to the Chinese applicant, the KI host/supervisor provides the opportunity and project with which the applicant can apply for a scholarship.
Latest update 2018.01.12
Dates for the candidate to submit scholarship application online: Jan 29-Feb 7, 2018
Dates for the Chinese universities/institutions to send in their approval of the candidate to CSC: Feb 8-12, 2018
Dates for the review and publication of the outcomes: March-May, 2018
The dates of university approval submission are not optimal, due to winter holidays/Chinese New Year.
Updated procedures 2017.09.26:
Information for potential KI hosts/supervisors
- Before October 5, interested hosts at KI submit a one-page intent of research hosting to KI international office. These project descriptions will be listed at the CSC website prior to the CSC 2017 Recruitment Fairs in mid-October, in which KI representatives will participate. Interested KI hosts must get approval from their department chair to host a CSC scholarship recipient before submitting the project description. KI supervisors for potential doctoral students must have Green light from their department to submit a project description.
- From October, 2017 to January, 2018, students, post-docs, and visiting scholars will contact potential KI supervisors or hosts according to their research interests. KI hosts are strongly recommended to have direct communications with applicant’s references, and to conduct interviews for the evaluation and judgement of applicant’s scientific competence and language skills.
- Before the end of January, 2018, If a mutual agreement is reached, the supervisor/host will issue a letter of invitation together with a detailed research plan for the research training, usually 2-4 pages,. Importantly, the invitation letter must be co-signed by the head of department and a copy of the letter of invitation must be sent to KI international office for documentation and for KI’s recommendation to CSC.
KI supervisors for registered doctoral students and post-docs must top up the CSC stipend to the minimum level required by KI (https://internwebben.ki.se/en/doctoral-students-external-scholarships).
It should also be noted that it is not advisable for KI supervisors/hosts to issue more letters of invitation than their actual hosting capacities.
Information for Master's students
- Students seeking a master’s degree education at KI must apply in the international application round for master’s programmes - application submitted by 15 January 2018 (opens on 16 October, 2017) and completed no later than 1 February 2018. However, the students applying for CSC supports are advised to submit and complete their applications as early as possible.
- The application for the master’s programme and supporting documents must be submitted at www.universityadmissions.se.
- CSC applicants must submit a specific CSC interest form at www.ki.se/scholarships by 1 January 2018 the latest.
- To match the timeline of CSC scholarship application for Master's degree students, an early release (by January 16, 2018) of admission notification from Karolinska Institutet’s Global Master’s Programme Admissions Office could be requested, provided the applicants submit/complete their application, including payment of the application fee, before 8 January 2018 and their applications are successful.
Information for prospective doctoral students, post-docs and visiting scholars
- From October, 2017 to February 1, 2018, students, post-docs, and visiting scholars should identify and contact potential KI supervisors or hosts according to their research interests from, but not limited to, the list of KI hosts published at CSC website.
Later stage procedure for CSC application and selection outcome
- During mid-February 2018: With the letter of invitation and a research plan (for doctoral students, post-docs, and visiting scholars) or the letter of admission (for master degree students), the applicants submit their online applications for CSC scholarships at the CSC website under the category of CSC-KI collaborative project (国家留学基金委与卡罗林斯卡医学院合作项目). Upon completing their online application, the applicants submit their hardcopy applications with all required documents to their own universities/institutions for institutional endorsement/recommendation. After going through institutional endorsement procedures, the universities/institutions will mail the hardcopy applications to CSC. Notably, CSC must receive the complete applications (both online and hardcopy applications) by early March 2018. Hence, it is highly recommendable that all applicants complete online application early, and proceed to institutional endorsement early.
- For the applicants who presently are in Sweden, they can submit their applications through Education Section of the Chinese Embassy in Stockholm.
- KI collects all issued letters of invitation or global master’s degree programme admission, and prepare a list of the applicants having received a letter of invitation or admission. The list will be sent to CSC before March 1, 2018.
- CSC organizes independent evaluations of all submitted applications during late March to early May, 2018.
- CSC informs applicants’ universities/institutions, as well as KI of the final outcome of the applications in late May, 2018.
- KI International Relations Office informs KI supervisors/hosts, as well as admissions office of global master’s degree programmes of the outcomes of CSC scholarship applications upon receiving the notifications from CSC.
- KI supervisors/hosts and corresponding CSC scholarship awardees plan the doctoral education or visiting research at KI. CSC-funded master’s degree students should contact the admissions office of the global master’s degree programmes for information about enrolment and housing assistance.
Dr Katarina Drakenberg, KI international coordinator for China
Associate professor Nailin Li, KI academic coordinator for China