Higher education in Sweden

Levels and credits

As of July 1, 2007, a new structure of higher education was introduced in Sweden. The new structure consists of three levels of higher education (basic level, advanced level and doctoral level). Each level requires studies at the previous level.

Another change was the introduction of a new system of credits. In the new system one year of full-time study for 40 weeks correspond to 60 higher education credits. The number of higher education credits awarded for each course will be determined on the basis of the work normally required to attain the course objectives. The objectives of every course describe the expected learning outcomes for the students.

Financing for basic and advanced level

Higher education in Sweden is free of charge for students within the EU/EEA and Switzerland. Students from these countries pay no tuition fees. Students from countries outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland have to pay tuition fees. However, exchange students from partner universities do not have to pay any tuition fees.

There are no funds within Karolinska Institutet to support international students. You will have to finance your stay in Sweden by means of funding from your home country or private funds. Exchange students are supposed to cover their costs in Sweden by for example grants from exchange programmes such as Nordplus, Erasmus or Linnaeus-Palme. A feasible monthly budget for a student in Stockholm is 8,000 SEK at minimum.

Financing for doctoral level

Education at doctoral level has no tuition fee, regardless of the country of the student. As a doctoral student you will be financially supported through your doctoral education.

Student unions

Student unions in Sweden have traditionally played an important role in university life, and are often very influential forces at the universities. At Karolinska Institutet there are two student unions, arranging traditional student activities such as parties, theatre and sports.

The student unions also represent students at Karolinska Institutet in decision-making bodies at the university. As an exchange student you can become a member of one of the student unions at Karolinska Institutet by paying a fee of approximately 200 SEK per semester.

Student unions at Karolinska Institutet

More information

You can find more information on higher education in Sweden on the website of Swedish Higher Education Authority, the public authority that oversees higher education institutions in Sweden.

Swedish Higher Education Authority