Interferon-β (Avonex, Rebif, Betaseron, Extavia)
- Interferon-β is a first-line therapy for the treatment of multiple sclerosis.
- It balances the expression of pro- and anti-inflammatory agents in the brain, and reduces the number of inflammatory cells that cross the blood–brain barrier.
- It is administered through intramuscular or subcutaneous injection once per week.
- In Europe, sales in 2016 amounted to €4.3 billion.
- It has an immunogenicity rate of 28% to 47% for IFNbeta-1b-Betaseron and Extavia, 12% to 28 % to IFNbeta-1a-Rebif, and 2% to 6% to IFNbeta-1a-Avonex
Labs that test for drug level:
Labs that test for ADA titre: