The Swedish Ambassador to Uganda Tweets Event Celebrating KI Partnership with Makerere University
On Thursday, February 12th, students, alumni, teachers, professors, and officials from Makerere University and Karolinska Institutet gathered in Kampala, Uganda, to celebrate the long and successful partnership between the two universities.
”The Karolinska Institutet - Makerere University Alumni & Friends Reunion; Open Lecture and Reception” was organized at the College of Health Sciences (CHS) on Thursday, February the 12th. A well-attended celebration for alumni and friends of the collaboration followed an open lecture with speakers from both universities. Katri Pohjolainen Yap, the Senior Research Advisor First Secretary at the Swedish Embassy participated and the Swedish Ambassador, Urban Andersson highlighted the event on twitter.
A delegation from Karolinska Institutet, chaired by Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Kerstin Tham, visited Makerere University from 11-13 of February, 2015 to celebrate the many years of partnership and to discuss the future of the collaboration. Prior to the celebrations on Thursday, the KI delegation had met with various professors and officials at Makerere University. On Wednesday, February 11th, the Implementation Agreement regarding the joint doctoral training leading to the double degree of doctor of philosophy (PhD), was signed by Professor John Ddumba-Ssentamu, Vice-Chancellor at Makerere University and Professor Kerstin Tham, Pro-Vice Chancellor at Karolinska Institutet.
The delegation also met with Professor Mukadasi Buyinza, Director at the Directorate of Research and Graduate Training, which is the office that coordinates the collaboration between Makerere University and the Swedish universities funded by Sida. At the College of Health Sciences, the delegation from KI met with Professor Nelson Sewankambo, Principal, and Professor Isaac Okullo, Deputy Principal at the College of Health Sciences, Dean of Medicine Harriet Mayanja-Kizza and Senior Lecturer Wiliam Buwembo.
There was unanimous support and admiration for the KI/CHS collaboration at all instances, including the Swedish Embassy. In particular, the large number of publications was considered remarkable as compared to other Sida funded collaborations at Makerere University. However, the discussions focused on how to proceed the KI-CHS collaboration, “beyond Sida”.
Participating from Karolinska Institutet
- Kerstin Tham, PhD, Professor of Occupational Therapy and Pro Vice-Chancellor
- Anders Gustafsson, PhD, DDS, Professor of Periodontology, Dean of Doctoral Education
- Marianne Schultzberg, Professor, Vice Dean of Doctoral Education
- Mats Wahlgren, MD, PhD, Professor of Infectious Disease Control
- Kristina Persson, DTMH, Associate Professor, Senior Consultant
- Taha Hirbod Alexandersson, PhD, Senior Researcher Infectious Diseases
- Stefan Peterson, MD, MPH, PhD, Professor of Global Health
- Susanne Guidetti, PhD, Senior Lecturer in Occupational Therapy
- Sabina Giulini, Alumni Relations Officer
- Monika Berge, International Coordinator
- Joel Monárrez-Espino, Director and Course Coordinator