Partial funding for recruitment of doctoral students in collaboration with Makerere University, Uganda
In order to stimulate the development of the ongoing cooperation with Makerere University, Uganda, the Board of doctoral education at Karolinska Institutet invites applications for partial funding for two new doctoral students to be recruited into a collaborative project with Makerere University.
The PhD students will perform a research project under joint supervision by research staff at Karolinska Institutet and Makerere University. If fulfilling the requirements for a double degree, the PhD student may be awarded a doctoral degree from each university.
The partial funding, equivalent to the prevailing standard doctoral funding (utbildningsbidrag) for up to four years full time studies, will have to be used for financial support of the student. Additional funding must be covered by the supervisors.
Last date for application
September 15, 2011
Researchers at Karolinska Institutet are invited to apply with a joint doctoral research project together with a researcher at Makerere University. The application and project must include collaboration with a researcher at Makerere University who has agreed upon taking on active supervision of the doctoral student when in Uganda, as students will spend time at both universities. The application process will consist of three steps:
- Selection of projects and supervisors. One supervisor from Karolinska Institutet applies together with a supervisor from Makerere University.
- Selection of PhD candidates for selected projects.
- Funding will be carried out when selected students have been registered at KI.
- Students are also expected to register as PhD students at Makerere University.
A scientific committee will select applications for funding based on the same criteria as for the so called KID funding (partial central funding of doctoral students):
- The project's scientific quality and potential
- The project's organization and feasibility
- The project's suitability as a joint doctoral education project
- Supervision quality and potential
One supervisor from Karolinska Institutet applies together with one supervisor from Makerere University. Only joint applications will be considered.
The following 3 documents should be submitted
Use Word templates with prepared headings or your own documents with the same headings in the exact same order.
- Application form and Project description (max 8 pages)
- Supervisors' qualifications
- A letter confirming that the supervisors are willing to take on the additional funding needed.
Send the application to one of the following
|Postal address:||Visiting adress|
|Registrator||Nobels väg 5|
|Karolinska Institutet||Karolinska Institutet, Solna campus|
|171 77 Stockholm, Sweden||171 77 Stockholm (reception closes at 5pm)|
The application should be submitted marked with Dnr 2009/2011-519.
Recruitment of PhD students
The PhD student should not be identified in the joint project application. An open recruitment of a PhD student should take place after a project has been selected for funding. The supervisors are responsible for the open recruitment process, and for registration of the PhD student at Karolinska Institutet and at Makerere University. Students already registered at Karolinska Institutet cannot be recruited.