Application and admission
1. Student selection
The Chinese university normally selects suitable student candidates. Inform KI through the administrative coordinator of the selected students as soon as possible.
2. General Eligibility to KI
Selected student candidates submit the following documents to KI for examining general eligibility to doctoral education:
- copy of diploma from university degree translated into English by an official authorised translator
- copy of transcript of academic records from academic education, translated into English by an official authorised translator
The above documents must be certified (signed to state that the copy corresponds to the original), and sent to the following address:
Helen Asp, FFU, Karolinska Institutet, 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
- documented results from a TOEFL test of equivalent to prove sufficient language skills.
3. Select a KI supervisor and the Chinese co-supervisor
Selected students candidates seek supervisors among established researchers and their presented research project.
Students contact the potential supervisor and declare interest and communicate the possibility to be a potential doctoral student with him/her as a supervisor within this programme.
4. Apply for funding from CSC
As soon as the KI supervisor has accepted the student together with the Chinese co-supervisor and the terms of the agreement, the student applies for funding from Chinese Scholarship Council.
5. Write research plan (while awaiting approval from CSC)
Student and supervisor at KI including the Chinese co-supervisor write the research plan together and formulate the individual study plan by e-mail correspondence and possible shorter visits provided by the Chinese side.
6. Funding approval
When the student receives approval from CSC he/she shall inform supervisors and KI coordinators of the following:
- approval of the CSC scholarship
- certificate by the Chinese university to provide the additional funding to reach the minimum requirements as agreed upon.
7. Student admission to KI
Student will be admitted to KI as a student according to the regular procedures. After writing an individual study plan and research plan and all documents are in order, the student will give an oral presentation at the KI department where he/she will be registered for doctoral education. Information about the KI admission process: &
Student admission is finally depending on funding approval from the Chinese side.