Anders Hamsten is to become the new KI president
[NEWS 2012-11-15] On 15 November, the government decided to employ Professor Anders Hamsten as the president of Karolinska Institutet. Anders Hamsten has been professor of cardiovascular diseases since 1999, a year in which he also became consultant at the Cardiology Clinic of Karolinska University Hospital.
Professor Hamsten will take up office on 1 January 2013 for a term of six years.
"Anders Hamsten will execute his professional duties exceedingly well. It´s also gratifying that he has so much support throughout the organisation," says Susanne Eberstein, board chairperson at Karolinska Institutet.
Professor Hamsten comments on his forthcoming role in the latest issue of KI:s internal news paper KI Bladet:
"I look forward to getting to grips with the big issues facing KI, which means identifying the forward-looking work currently underway and drawing up my own list of priorities and my own strategy. I feel full of pride and expectation."
Academic and professional background (selection):
- Earns his medical degree from KI, 1978.
- Registers as a doctor, 1981.
- Becomes a specialist in coronary diseases and internal medicine, 1986.
- Earns his PhD on his thesis "Studies on myocardial infarction at young age", 1986.
- Appointed docent of medicine, 1990.
- Serves as a doctor at Danderyd Hospital during his specialist training, 1982-1986.
- Serves as a research associate at KI, 1987-1990.
- Holds a Heart Lung Foundation Fellowship in cardiology at KI 1991-1997.
- Serves as registrar, deputy consultant and consultant at the Clinic of Emergency and Cardiovascular Medicine at Karolinska Hospital, 1987-1998.
- Serves as head of the Department of Medicine, KI (Solna), 1999-2004 and 2005-2007.
- Serves as head of the Thoracic-Vascular Division, Karolinska University Hospital, 2004-2007.