About the Department
Vision and goals
The Department of Public Health Sciences shall be the leading public and global health research and educational environment in Sweden as well as an important international cooperation partner.
The aim of all our activities shall be to improve population health by carrying out scientifically well-grounded, strategic and practical public health projects and to support other public health initiatives on the local, regional, national and international level.
The long-term goal of the Department is to further strengthen its position in public and global health research.
Our priority strategies are as follows:
- stimulate collaboration between pre-clinical, clinical and public health research
- increase interaction and cooperation with groups pursuing applied healthcare research both nationally and globally
- capitalize the various networks in which the research groups at the Department operate, including our extensive national and global research partner networks
- promote implementation and intervention research regarding strategic and practical public health promotion on the local, regional, national and international level.
The Department of Public Health Sciences is one of 22 departments within Karolinska Institutet. The department consists of three areas. These are:
- Global Health/IHCAR, head: Vinod Diwan
- Social Medicine, head: Peter Allebeck
- Public Health Epidemiology, head: Cecilia Magnusson
The department is headed by the prefect professor Lucie Laflamme.
From January 2013 the divisions are located at Widerströmska Huset, Tomtebodavägen 18A