PhD admission application
The application for admission to postgraduate education should be handed in to the education manager.
|Date of meeting|
|September 10 at 4.30|
|October 14 at 4.30 p.m.|
|November 13 at 4.30 p.m.|
|December 11 at 4.30 p.m.|
The application should be submitted AT LEAST ONE MONTH BEFORE the meeting date*)
*) NOTE! Only four (4) applications at each meeting. If more than four applications are submitted, these will be scheduled at the next meeting.
You will not be booked at a specific meeting date until your application has been submitted.
The application should compose
Note! One original copy of the application as well as enclosures - single-sided, NOT stapled!
- (a) By KI approved "General minimum requirements of eligibility to graduate studies" (copy)
- The form "Application for admission to graduate studies"
- (b) The form "Individual study plan" and enclosures (CV, ethical permissions/applications, documents on supervisors' training in supervision). (must also be signed by "enhetschefen")
- A project plan (max. 5 pages) describing Aim/Hypothesis, Background, Material/Methods, Preliminary results, the student's role in/contribution to all the separate studies, as well as References
- (c) Enclosure: The names of three unbiased experts in the research area (from Swedish/Nordic universities) - see below
Re: General minimum requirements
(a) Note! The form "General minimum requirements..." has to be sent in advance to Helén Asp at KI for decision (see information on the form). A copy of the decision should then be enclosed with the application for admission to postgraduate studies.
Re: the individual study plan
Also note, that the course plan could include both courses already taken before PhD registration and planned courses. The courses being registered in the PhD file (Ladok) must adhere to the individual study plan!
NOTE! The HEAD of the DIVISION at the Department has to countersign the application under 13) of the Individual study plan. This is a special prerequiste for applications submitted to the Dept of Women's and Children's Health.
Re: Expert review
(c) Note! Since the application, if necessary, will be reviewed by an expert in the field, the committee requires three suggestions of unbiased experts to be provided by the supervisor/applicant (incl. address and e-mail). Please provide this information e.g. when handing in the application. The experts could come from any university in Sweden or the Nordic countries.
NOTE! The Committee will contact one of the suggested reviewers, NOT the applicant or the supervisor!
Hand in the application to:
Application for admission to postgraduate studies can either be aimed at a licentiate degree (2 years full time studies) or a doctoral degree (4 years full time). A PhD student admitted for 2 years of education has to hand in a new application after the licentiate degree if planning to continue to a doctoral degree. A continuation application can also be handed in if planning to do a half-time seminar towards a doctoral degree instead of a licentiate. Then you should tick the box "PhD, second half" on the application form.
New rules as of January 1st, 2011
- Intended learning outcomes
- Compulsory: KI introduction course for PhD students (before half-time control at the latest)
- Main supervisor fulfilling "competence corresponding" must have passed the KI web course for supervisors
- The applicant must prove his/her identity (passport etc.)
Presentation in a seminar series at the division?
Sometimes the applicant will have the opportunity to present the application in a seminar series at the division. If so, the PhD Committee welcomes an invitation to that seminar to enable a member of the Committee to be present.