2017 StratCan Interactive Summer School on Cancer Genomics
The 2017 StratCan Interactive Summer School focuses on Genomics within cancer. The summer school will be held June 13th - June 16th at Sånga-Säby in the Stockholm archipelago.
The summer school will give students a comprehensive overview of Cancer Genomics, and allows students to present their own work and interact with world-leading professors in their research area.
Six of the top scientists in the genomics field have been hand-picked to help the students to focus in on the following themes:
- Functional Cancer Genomics
- Computational Cancer Genomics
- Clinical Cancer Genomics
- Cancer Evolution
- Cancer Genomics
- Chemical Genomics
The following speakers are confirmed (additional speakers pending):
- Dr Sebastian Nijman, Director of Functional Genomics at the Target Discovery Institute
- Professor Sampsa Hautaniemi, University of Helsinki
- Professor Lauri Aaltonen, University of Helsinki & KI
- Professor Ian Tomlinson, University of Oxford
- Dr. Thijn Brummelkamp, Netherlands Cancer Institute
The aim of the Summer School is to allow plenty of interaction and discussion between the students and the speakers. Therefore the Summer School includes:
- Student presentation sessions with paired discussion partner: After the application deadline the selected students will be paired-up by the organisers and instructed to exchange abstracts (and possbily other information or material) in order to prepare for the student presentation sessions. During these student presentations at the Summer School, a student will first give his 5 minute presentation, after which he will receive constructive critisism from the paired student followed by questions and suggestions by other students and the professors.
- Lunch/dinner lottery: For promoting interaction between students and teachers the students may request a speaker that they would like to sit near at lunch/dinner and the speakers will pull names out of a hat.
- Poster presentation where the speakers will view and discuss the students work.
- Presentations will be given by all of the invited speakers, followed by questions and discussion by the students.
Tuesday 13th June
13.00-17.00 Open session at Nobel Forum, KI Campus Solna
17.00 Buses leave to Sånga Säby
17.45 Arrival at Sånga Säby and check-in
18.30 Dinner with welcoming speech by host Professor Jussi Taipale
19.00 – 20.00 Student presentation according to the following format: 5 min presentation of own project, 5 min Analysis by paired student (criticisms and constructive ideas) and 5 min comments by a speaker from the student’s chosen area of interest (1-4)
Wednesday 14th June
08.00 – 09.00 Breakfast
09.00 – 09.30 Introduction of the topic, what will be covered by the Summer School and what we hope the students will learn.
09.30 – 10.30 Presentation on Functional Genomics by Professor Jussi Taipale from Karolinska Institutet
10.30 – 11.00 Coffee
11.00 – 12.00 Presentation on Experimental Biomedical Genetics by Dr. Thijn Brummelkamp from the Netherlands Cancer Institute
12.00 – 13.00 Lunch
13.00 – 15.00 Student presentations continue (5-12)
15.00 - 15.30 Coffee
15.30 – 17.30 Activity or Student presentations continue (13-22) – dependent on weather
18.00 - 19.30 Dinner
19.30 – 21.15 Student presentations continue (23-29)
Thursday 15th June
08.00 – 09.00 Breakfast
09.00 – 10.00 Presentation on Computational Cancer Genomics by Professor Sampsa Hautaniemi from University of Helsinki
10.00 – 11.00 Presentation on Cancer Evolution by TBA
11.00 – 11.30 Coffee
11.30 – 13.00 Student presentations continue (30-35)
13.00 – 14.00 Lunch
14.00 – 16.00 Activity or Student presentations continue (13-22) – dependent on weather
16.00 - 16 30 coffee
16.30 – 17.30 16.30 – 17.30 Presentation on Cancer Genomics by Professor Lauri Aaltonen from University of Helsinki and Karolinska Institutet
17.30 – 19.00 Dinner
19.00 – 21.00 Poster presentation
Friday 16th June
08.00 – 09.00 Breakfast and check-out
09.00 – 10.30 Presentation on Chemical Genomics by Dr Sebastian Nijman Director of Functional Genomics at the Target Discovery Institute
10.30 – 11.00 Coffee
11.00 – 12.20 TBA
12.20 – 12.30 Closing statement by host Professor Jussi Taipale
12.30 – 13.30 Lunch
14.00 Buses to Arlanda and Central Stockholm
The StratCan Summer School 2017 will be held in Stockholm, with the first open afternoon session at Nobel Forum, Karolinska Institutet Solna Campus. Buses will then take the Summer School participants to beautiful Sånga-Säby, by lake Mälaren just outside Stockholm. After the Summer School there will be buses taking the participants from Sånga-Säby to both Arlanda Airport and Stockholm city center
Applications to the Summer School will be welcome from December 19th until February 28th, 2017. Selected participants will be notified by early April allowing time to prepare and arrange travel.
The applications are to be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org marked StratCan Summer School 2017 and you should include the two completed documents below:
- Application form including your primary and secondary areas of interest from the Summer School themes: a.) Functional Cancer Genomics, b.) Computational Cancer Genomics, c.) Clinical Cancer Genomics, d.) Cancer Evolution, e.) Cancer Genomics, f.) Chemical Genomics.
- Abstract plus one recent (2014-2016) publication that is relevant to the topic, in which you are an author.
Organisers & Contact
The 2017 StratCan Summer School is organised by the Jussi Taipale lab at the Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics (MBB). Should you have any questions regarding the Summer School, please reach out to Emma Inns from the Taipale lab or Sandra Falck from StratCan.