The ISP-system, a digital tool for individual study plans for doctoral students
In February 2018 KI will implement a digital tool intended for support of writing, approving and follow-up of individual study plans for doctoral students. Main users will be doctoral students, supervisors, directors of doctoral studies and educational administrators.
From 1 March 2018 the individual study plan shall be written in the ISP-system by prospective doctoral students and their supervisors.
Already admitted doctoral students are welcome to use the ISP-system from 1 march 2018. For doctoral students doing half-time review it is mandatory to transfer to the ISP-system from 1 July 2018.
The departments may also allow other doctoral students to transfer to the ISP-system eg. at yearly follow-up.
For a transition period there will be doctoral students using the ISP-system and doctoral students using the word-document for writing their individual study plan.
According to the Higher Education Ordinance every doctoral student should have an individual study plan that is decided in consultation with the doctoral student and his or hers supervisors. In order to improve the support to the organization regarding individual study plans, the Board of doctoral education has decided to implement a digital tool. The tool will support the organization by improving internal reports, as well as simplifying the follow-up of the individual progression of each doctoral student. The ISP-system is developed by Gothenburg University and has been in use since 2014. In 2016 and 2017 KTH and two faculties at Lund University have, in addition to KI, started a collaboration with Gothenburg University regarding the system.
On the ISP-system
The system is based on a form filled in by the doctoral student and the principal supervisor. The form becomes available as a study plan in pdf format. The study plan is reviewed and approved electronically in the system and the form will be locked for editing at the time of approval. When the study plan is in need of revision, the principal supervisor opens a new version of the study plan which can be edited and there after approved.
The ISP system is web-based and therefore also accessible outside KI's network.
Some of the forms currently used when writing and revising individual study plans will be discarded or revised when KI switches to digital management of study plans. For this reason, the document management plan for doctoral studies will also be revised.
The ISP-system improves the handling of individual study plans by for example:
- ensuring that correct users are involved in the approval of a study plan.
- sending an email when a user has a study plan waiting for approval.
- including a message log where users can write messages to each other. A director of doctoral studies can for example write a message to a doctoral student with information regarding necessary improvements before the study plan can be approved, when returning it to the doctoral student.
- sending an automatically generated reminder to the doctoral student and principal supervisor when it is time for the annual review.
- retrieving data on finished courses and transferred credits from Ladok.
- providing the most recent study plan and previous versions electronically.
- providing access to all study plans a user has access to, for example, a supervisor has access to all study plans for his/hers doctoral students and a director of doctoral studies has access to all study plans at his/hers department.
Process and procedure
At admittance to doctoral education
Flow chart of the process at admission to doctoral education with the ISP-system is found here.
- Department administrator assigns roles to the prospective doctoral student and supervisors.
- The principal supervisor creates the study plan. The prospective doctoral student and the supervisors discuss the content of the individual study plan. The prospective doctoral student and the principal supervisor edit the study plan, co-supervisors can only view the study plan.
- Depending on processes at the department there are different alternatives of which two is given here. Alternative 1: Prospective doctoral student prints the study plan before it enters the approval procedure. The printed study plan is attached to the application for admission to doctoral studies. Alternative 2: When the prospective doctoral student and the supervisors are satisifed with the study plan the prospective doctoral student approves the study plan, and the study plan enters the approval procedure. When the Director of doctoral education and the departmnet adminsitrator receives the study plant they control that the study plan fulfills the requirement for an application. If everything is ok the prospective doctoral student may send in the application for admission. If, instead, the study plan needs to be improven the prospective doctoral student is given feed back on needed improvements. After revision the prospective doctoral student may send in the application for admission.
- The prospective doctoral student gives the admission seminar. The study plan is revised according to comments from the admission board and the requests from the Director of doctoral education. The study plan is approved by the prospective doctoral student and enters the approval procedure.
- When the Director of doctoral education approves the revisions, the Head of the department may decide on admission, supervisor combination and financing plan. The decission is taken outside the ISP-system.
- If the Head of department approves the admission the study plan is established in the ISP-system.
- The admission is registrered in Ladok by the department administrator.
At yearly and new establishment
Flow charts of processes at yearly and new establishment of an individual study plan in the ISP-system is found here.
An individual study plan shall be revised and established
- at yearly revsion.
- at half-time review.
- after decision on new supervisor combination.
- after decsion on change of department and/or subject.
|From 1 March 2018|| |
New prospective doctoral students write their study plan in the ISP-system.
Already admitted doctoral students are welcome to transfer to the ISP-systme.
|From 1 July 2018||Mandatory for already admitted doctoral students to transfer to the ISP-system when doing half-time review.|
|Marianne Schultzberg||Chair, Dean doctoral education|
|Lennart Nilsson||Vice-chair, Pro-Dean doctoral education|
|Kristina Broliden||Head of department, Dep of medicine, Solna|
|Elias Arnér||Director of doctoral studies, Dep of medical biochemistry and biophysics|
|Åsa Nandorf||Object manager, Education support office,|
|Christopher Sönnerbrandt||Head of study administrative unit, Education support office|
|Leif Karlsson||Doctoral student representative|
|Maria Ankarcrona||Director of doctoral studies, Dep of neurobiology, care sciences and society|
|Matti Nikkola||Director of doctoral studies, Dep of cell and molecular biology|
|Michael Fored||Director of doctoral studies, Dep of medicine, Solna|
|Jan-Bernd Stukenborg||Supervisor, Dep of women’s and children’s health|
|Anna Sandberg||Educational administrator, Dep of women’s and children’s health|
|Sofia Pettersson||Educational administrator, Dep of physiology and pharmacology|
|Karin Vågstrand||Coordinator doctoral studies, Faculty office and international relations|
|Leif Karlsson||Doctoral student representative|
If you have any questions you are welcome to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.