Position as Senior Researcher (2 years)
The Board of Research is advertising up to eight positions as Senior Researcher (extensions of existing assistant professorships).
What does the funding entail?
The recipient department will be assigned a framework amount of SEK 1,000,000 per appointment per year for a maximum of two years. The funds are intended to finance full-time positions and are to be used for salaries.
The position as senior researcher is to be appointed on a permanent basis. Funding will be made available on condition that the term of employment commences at one of Karolinska Institutet’s departments not more than twelve months after the assistant professorship has expired. The employment is to be agreed with the recipient department, who are responsible for the salary.
The applicant is to conduct independent research with his/her own established research line, and show great potential for continuing to do so.
The applicant is to have been well-published in internationally leading journals in his/her field in recent years, and occupied a prominent place in the list of authors, preferably as first author and senior author.
The applicant is to have obtained, preferably as the principal applicant, good, external financing in recent years, and must have the potential for obtaining additional financing.
Applicants must, at the time of application, hold an assistant professorship (as defined by the Swedish Higher Education Ordinance) on a four-year (total) contract that expires between 1 January and 31 December 2018. Applicants may give reason to claim deductable time, such as in the event of parental leave and sickness. Reason, dates and extent must be clearly specified in the application and verified with the relevant documentation.
How to apply
Applications are to be submitted via the MyNetwork recruitment system. The application shall comprise the following documents, written in English:
- A personal letter (uploaded in the recruitment system)
- Application document (to be filled in and uploaded in the recruitment system)
- The decision of employment as assistant professor
- Attestation from the head of the recipient department at Karolinska Institutet that the applicant may conduct research at the department
Assessment process and assessment criteria
Applications will be assessed in two stages:
1. Assessment of eligibility
2. Review by external experts
This review applies two assessment criteria and judged on a seven-point scale:
- Publications. What is the quality of the applicant’s previous publications and other scientific achievements in relation to the phase he/she is in in his/her career.
- Academic studies and research merits. Does the applicant have adequate experience of research, competence and a scientific network and degree of independence sufficient for implementing the proposed project?
- Funding. Has competitive funding been obtained?
- Distinctions. National/international recognition. Has the applicant been invited to hold a lecture or presentation? Taken part in funding reviews or other assessments?
Scientific quality of project
- Innovativeness/originality. Are there any particularly ambitious or unconventional aspects to the proposal (including multi- or interdisciplinary)? Will it open up fresh perspectives and opportunities for science?
- Goals. Does the project have clear goals in relation to the latest scientific knowledge and techniques in the field?
- Relevance and potential. In what ways is the proposed project important to the field? What impact will it have if successful?
- Viability. Is the proposed project viable? Are the proper expertise, group members and established partnerships available and in place? If relevant, are proposed research methods, infrastructure, equipment and field work appropriate and available? Are the explanation and justification of the chosen method described in a relevant way and in relation to the scientific point of inquiry?
- Methodology. Does the project include the use of new techniques/methods or the innovative application of existing methods/techniques in new fields?
The Board of Research decides which applicants are to be awarded a postion as senior researcher based on the external review.
Application period: 20 February - 20 March
Stage 1: March - May
Stage 2: June - August