Conditions for payment of KID-funding
KID-funding is a block grant for partial funding (salary complement) of doctoral students at KI. The funds are paid out by the Board of Doctoral Education to the respective department. You can receive a maximum of four yearly payments, corresponding to partial funding for four years of full time studies.
News on the KID-grant
As of 1 July 2016 doctoral grants (“utbildningsbidrag”) will no longer be used as a form of financing doctoral students at KI. The latter will influence the level of the KID-grant. As of 1 January 2016, two different grant levels/amounts will apply as a basis for payments throughout the entire period of the doctoral training:
- One amount/level, calculated according to the old principle (one year of doctoral grant and three years of employment as a doctoral student) for those starting their doctoral education December 2015, at the latest. The yearly amount according to this principle will be 287 000 Swedish crowns for 2016.
- One amount/level, calculated according to the new principle (four years of employment as a doctoral student) for those starting their doctoral education as of January 2016. The latter amount applies on condition that the doctoral student will not be financed by a doctoral grant (“utbildningsbidrag”), but will be employed from day 1 (including during the spring of 2016). The yearly amount according to this new principle will be 320 000 Swedish crowns.
Conditions for payment
The decision on allocation of KID-funding is taken by the Board of Doctoral Education. The decision applies on condition that:
- The KID PhD position is announced and a PhD student is recruited through open competition (exceptions from the requirement apply only if the doctoral education is planned to be carried out as part of/or in combination with another employer outside of KI)
- The person chosen to be admitted to research education at KI, with the goal of earning a doctoral degree, is enrolled no later than a year after applicants have been informed of the decision on allocation of KID-funding
- The research education is planned according to what is indicated in the submitted application and follows relevant rules and regulations for doctoral education at KI
Payment of KID-funding
Payment of KID-funding for the first year is done via a form for requisition of funding (rekvisitionsblankett), while funding for the remaining years (year 2-4) is lifted into the regular distribution of resources at KI and paid out per month (‘I tolftedelar’).
To receive the first yearly payment, principal supervisors must fill in and send, to the KID Policy Officer, the KID-contract, together with a form for requisition of funding and required attachments*, as soon as a doctoral student has been admitted.
For payment of the first year – observe the rule regarding the so called cut-off: On condition that a form for requisition of funding is sent to the KID Policy Officer during the period 1 January – 30 June, a whole yearly payment for the current year is made via a transaction order. If a form for requisition of funding is sent to the KID Policy Officer during the period 1 July – 31 December, no payments are made during the current year, the payments are instead lifted into the regular distribution of resources and paid out per month (‘I tolftedelar’) during the following year.
* Please see KID-contract for information on which attachments need to be submitted.
Conditions for payment of years 2 - 4
Controls of the progress of PhD students are done by the Central Administration.
- Before payment of the second year, it is controlled whether the PhD student is still registered.
- Before payment of the third year, it is controlled both that the PhD student is still registered and that the halftime control has been reported in LADOK. N.B.! In order for the third year to be paid during the upcoming calendar year, halftime control must be registered in Ladok by 15 December, at the latest.
- Before the fourth and final payment, it is controlled that the PhD student is still registered and has not defended his/her thesis. It is generally permitted for remaining funding to be used up to six months after the defense.
N.B.! In cases where PhD students complete their education in less than four years, or for any other reason terminate their PhD studies, the principle supervisor has the responsibility to inform the KID Policy Officer and the KID Steering group.
Allocation of other forms of faculty funding
A principal supervisor who applies for and is granted more than one forms of faculty funding of doctoral students at KI (KID, CSTP or the Doctoral School in Health Care Sciences) for the same project, can only be granted one such form of funding (principal supervisors can themselves chose which one).
If you have questions regarding payments, please contact: Henrik Lundström, Faculty Office and International Relations, 08-524 864 87.
How to fill in the form for requisition of funding (rekvisitionsblanketten)
The upper part of the form is filled in by personnel at the respective department (in Swedish).
Rekvisition avser: Välj Doktorand inom KID och därefter institution.
Medel rekvireras för: Ange namnet på huvudhandledaren som tilldelats medel och doktoranden som antagits till forskarutbildning/KID-projekt, samt utlysningens diarienummer (står på KID-kontraktet), dvs. utlysningsterminen då KID-medel beviljades.
Projekt: Ange projektet medlen ska betalas ut till.
Verifikationstext: Skriv institutionsbeteckning, namn på huvudhandledare och doktorand samt KID medel (t.ex. C1, Lisa Nilsson, Sven Karlsson, KID-medel).
Institutionens referens: Här anges namnet på ansvarig vid institutionen.
The bottom part is filled in by the responsible Policy Officer at the Central Administration.