Karolinska Institutet is a member of Sunet TCS. This means that it is possible to get free server certificates and personal certificates issued by DigiCert.
To ensure that your computer is communicating with the correct server and that the traffic cannot be intercepted or altered you need a server certificate. Server certificates come in various shapes and are usually installed in Web servers, mail servers, etc. To request a server certificate, you must have a registered user account at DigiCert.
Read the following information from SUNET before you download a certificate.
Order a server certificate
In order to apply for a server certificate, you need to have a user account at Digicert. To create an account with Digicert, a signed delegation application is required from the Head of Department of your institution. Fill the application form Delegeringsansökan (delegation application) with the names of the person or persons who would like to order a server certificate. Once the form has been duly completed and signed, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The user will receive an e-mail from Digicert and will be asked to create a password for the account. As soon as this step has been completed, the user can log in and apply for a server certificate.
Digital signature / Electronic signature
The delegation application form (Delegeringsansökan) supports digital/electronic signatures and there is room for multiple signatures. In order for the application to be approved, all signatures need to be digital/eletronic. If you do not have a personal certificate, you need to print out the form and sign it manually. Scan the form with the signatures and send it to email@example.com.
Additional information about server certificates can be found below:
The private key must be protected against unauthorized access. A backup of the private key should be made.
All backups of the private key must be protected against unauthorized access. The key length should be at least 2048 bits.
If the certificate is no longer in use or if you suspect that the private key for a certificate has got into the wrong hands, then the certificate has to be terminated. Contact ITfirstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
Karolinska Institutet provides personal certificates through DigiCert. The certificates are available in three categories:
• Premium - used for signing and encrypting email and documents. This is the most common certficate.
• Grid Premium - used to connect to the so called grid-services, such as scientific computing clusters.
• Grid Robot Name - certificate that are often used with science gateway portals.
Order a personal certificate
This applies only to employees or affiliated at the Karolinska Institute. To apply for any of the personal certificates, contact IT-support for an ID check.
Visit IT-support or make an appointment for identity verification
Pay us a visit, call or send us an e-mail us to make an appointment: You will find our contact details and information on our opening hours below.
If you are in the vecinity of Nobels väg 5, contact IT-support and an officer will meet up and handle the manual identification procedure required for the issuance of a personal certificate. This procedure takes approximately ten minutes. At the far right of the reception desk, you will find a phone that you can use to contact IT support.
In order to receive a personal certificate, you need to be able to show a valid identity document.
Accepted IDs are:
• A valid Swedish ID card, driver’s license or passport.
• A national identity card or passport for citizens of countries connected to the Schengen agreement and a valid passport for other foreign nationals.
Download and install a personal certificate
An officer will check that your ID is valid and that you have an active KI account. Once the manual identification verification has taken place, a note is made in Karolinska Institutet's user database.
From your default computer, go to https://www.digicert.com/sso/. In the field "Identity provider", write "Karolinska Institutet".
You will now access a login page. Log in with your KI-account and select the type of certificate you want to apply for. The most common type is Premium.
The certificate is downloaded and installed directly from the website. More detailed instructions and reference guides can be found below
Instructions for personal certificates
Guides and manuals:
- How to export a personal certificate
- Import/Install a certificate
- Enable signature button in Outlook
- Configure your Outlook so that you always send e-mails with a digital signature
- Publish your certificate in Karolinska Institutet's global address list (GAL)
- Settings in OWA
- Settings in Adobe Reader XI
- Edit your signature in a PDF document with KI-logotype
- Electronic/digital signature in a PDF document using a USB
- Electronic/digital signature in a Word document using a USB
- Activate password prompt every time an application uses the certificate
- Encryption of e-mail
- Install certificate in your Android
- Install certificate in your iPhone
Contact and opening hours
Visiting address: IT Department, Nobels väg 5, Solna.
Phone: 08-524 822 22
Opening hours: Monday - Friday: 09:00-11:00 and 13:00-16:00