Archiving and information management
The Archives and Registrar’s Office manages the central archive and registry of the university administration as well as support and consult the departments who have responsibility of their own archives. The unit consists of archivists and registrars who work with securing that the official documents created at Karolinska Institutet are preserved for the future as well as retrievable for the daily administration of the organization.
Who does what at the Archives and Registrar’s Office?
Division of archiving responsibilities between the University administration and the departments.
At KI exists several joint administrative systems for decision making and document management. KI should from an archiving perspective be viewed as one single unit in where double registering and double archiving should be avoided. The University administration has the overall responsibility for archiving of all joint administrative systems. The departments are responsible for the documents that are registered within their own department.
Archivist at the University administration
- Responsible for archiving at the University administration
- Overall responsibility in issuing regulatory documents, instructions and manuals for all of KI, as well as creating routines to secure archiving and information management at KI that corresponds to the relevant state laws and regulations.
- Responsible for the external communication with the National Archives of Sweden (Riksarkivet) and other parties who deal with archival management.
- Overall responsibility for the management of KI’s official documents, both paper and digital.
- Supports and consults the departments in archiving and information management.
Registrar at the University administration
- Responsible for registering at the University administration
- Responsible for the educating and tutoring department registrars
- Should continuously and together with the Archives office carry through random controls to test if the registering of official documents at KI as a whole works.
- Should together with the Archives office leave suggestions for the improvement of the overall registering routines and archival management of registered documents at KI.
- Has a general instructive role in registering matters at KI.
If you have questions about archiving and information management or if you want to search in the archives you can turn to the central Archives office at the university administration.
See separate page to search for different archives at KI.
All today active departments have their own archives and for questions about specific department archives we ask you to turn to the respective department.