I am an epidemiologist, employed at IMM since 2009. My main research interest is diabetes with special focus on the form called LADA (LADA-latent autoimmune diabetes in adults).
BSc, Stockholm University 1996
PhD, Karolinska Institutet 2003
Associate professor, Karolinska Institutet 2008
My work aims to expand knowledge of the incidence, risk factors and complications related to autoimmune diabetes. An important cornerstone of this work is the ESTRID study (epidemiological study of risk factors for LADA-latent autoimmune diabetes in adults and type 2 diabetes), an ongoing multicenter study that is running at IMM. ESTRID is the largest and most detailed study of LADA to date and will provide unique opportunities to study the influence of both environmental and genetic factors on the disease. The overall aim of my research is to identify the environmental factors that can be used to prevent autoimmune diabetes as type 1 diabetes and LADA, and also to spread awareness about diabetes.
- Swedish Research Council
- AFA Försäkring
- Swedish Diabetes Association
Members of the research group:
- Bahareh Rasouli, MSc Nutrition, PhD student
- Josefin Edwall Löfvenborg, MSc Nutrition, PhD student
- Rebecka Hjort, MSc Public Health, PhD student
- Jenny Sundqvist, Bsc Public Health, research assistant
- Tomas Andersson, Bsc, Statistician
- Lunds Universitets Diabetescenter
- Uppsala Universitet
- Norweigan University of Science and Techonology
- Helsingfors Universitet
- Andersson T, Ahlbom A, Magnusson C, Carlsson S. Prevalence and incidence of diabetes in Stockholm County 1990-2010. PLoS One 2014. In press.
- Löfvenborg JE, Andersson T, Carlsson PO, Dorkhan M, Groop L, Martinell M, Rasouli B, Storm P, Tuomi T, Carlsson S. Coffee consumption and the risk of latent autoimmune diabetes in adults-results from a Swedish case-control study. Diabet Med. 2014;1:799-805.
- Olsson L, Grill V, Midthjell K, Ahlbom A, Andersson T, Carlsson S. Mortality in adult-onset autoimmune diabetes is associated with poor glycemic control: results from the HUNT Study. Diabetes Care. 2013;36:3971-8.
- Carlsson S, Ahlbom A, Lichtenstein P, Andersson T. Shared genetic influence of BMI, physical activity and type 2 diabetes: a twin study. Diabetologia. 2013;56:1031-5.
- Rasouli B, Grill V, Midthjell K, Ahlbom A, Andersson T, Carlsson S. Smoking is associated with reduced risk of autoimmune diabetes in adults contrasting with increased risk in overweight men with type 2 diabetes: a 22-year follow-up of the HUNT study. Diabetes Care. 2013;36:604-10.
- Olsson L, Pettersen E, Ahlbom A, Carlsson S, Midthjell K, Grill V. No effect by the common gene variant rs10830963 of the melatonin receptor 1B on the association between sleep disturbances and type 2 diabetes: results from the Nord-Trøndelag Health Study. Diabetologia. 2011;54:1375-8.
- Whincup PH, Kaye SJ, Owen CG et al. Birth weight and risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review. JAMA. 2008;300:2886-97.
- Carlsson S, Midthjell K, Grill V. Influence of family history of diabetes on incidence and prevalence of latent autoimmune diabetes of the adult: results from the Nord-Trøndelag Health Study. Diabetes Care. 2007;30:3040-5.
- Carlsson S, Hammar N, Grill V. Alcohol consumption and type 2 diabetes Meta-analysis of epidemiological studies indicates a U-shaped relationship. Diabetologia. 2005;48:1051-4.
- Carlsson S, Midthjell K, Grill V; Nord-Trøndelag study. Smoking is associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes but a decreased risk of autoimmune diabetes in adults: an 11-year follow-up of incidence of diabetes in the Nord-Trøndelag study. Diabetologia. 2004;47:1953-6.