Associate Professor at Karolinska Institutet with over ten years of experience in research and education in toxicology and environmental medicine. Risk assessment and science-to-policy is my main field of interest and I have active projects both at Swetox (Swedish center for toxicological sciences) and at the Institute of Environmental Medicine.
I enjoy working in the truely multi-disciplinary research field of chemical risk assessment and has a large network of contacts among Swedish and international agencies and organizations.
Beside ordinary research activities I am chairing the National Committee for European Registered toxicologists (ERT) and are a Swedish representative the the Nordic Expert Group, a Nordic collaboration for production of criteria documents on chemicals for occupational exposure limits.
Current research projects as main project leader:
- Experimental design aligned with dose-response modelling as a means for 3R in toxicity testing (Financial support: Swedish Research Council)
- Bayesian dose-response modelling aligned with experimental design as means to improve chemical risk assessment (Financial support: Swedish Research Council)
- Kemiska olyckor i arbetslivet – systematisk analys av giftinformationscentralens arbetsmiljörelaterade data (Financial support: AFA Försäkring)
Other reasech projects:
- EDC-MixRisk, safe chemicals for future generations (Financial support: European Union’s Horizon 2020)
- EDC-2020, a project about endocrine disrupting chemicals (Financial support: Formas)
- Elimination and effects of PFAS in drinking water in Sweden (Collaboration with Lund University).
- Modern methods for estimation of in vivo dose and genotoxic potency as components for cancer risk assessment (Collaboration with Stockholm University).
- DECRA: Developing Comparative Risk Assessment into a useful tool for substituting hazardous chemicals (Collaboration with Gothenburg University)
My teaching activities include lectures, cource leadership, supervising master and PhD student.
I have been the main supervisor for two PhD students:
- Mia Johansson (2016) - Asthmatics as a susceptible population in health risk assessment of airbourne chemicals
- Joakim Ringblom (2016) - Worth weighting for - Studies on benchmark dose analysis in relation to animal ethics in toxicity testing
How are asthmatics included in the derivation of guideline values for emergency planning and response?
REGULATORY TOXICOLOGY AND PHARMACOLOGY 2012;63(3):461-70
The point of transition on the dose-effect curve as a reference point in the evaluation of in vitro toxicity data
JOURNAL OF APPLIED TOXICOLOGY 2012;32(10):843-9
Benchmark dose approaches in chemical health risk assessment in relation to number and distress of laboratory animals
REGULATORY TOXICOLOGY AND PHARMACOLOGY 2010;58(3):451-4
Discrepancy among acute guideline levels for emergency response
JOURNAL OF HAZARDOUS MATERIALS 2010;184(1-3):439-47
HEALTH IMPACT ASSESSMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL TOBACCO SMOKE IN EUROPEAN CHILDREN: SUDDEN INFANT DEATH SYNDROME AND ASTHMA EPISODES
PUBLIC HEALTH REPORTS 2010;125(3):478-87
Adult smoking as a proxy for environmental tobacco smoke exposure among children - Comparing the impact of the level of information in Estonia, Finland and Latvia
PREVENTIVE MEDICINE 2009;49(2-3):240-4
Exposure to dioxin-like pollutants via different food commodities in Swedish children and young adults
FOOD AND CHEMICAL TOXICOLOGY 2008;46(11):3360-7
Occurrence and levels of environmental chemicals in human milk in the general population
TOXICOLOGY LETTERS 2006;:S117-S117
Identification of the tryptophan photoproduct 6-formylindolo[3,2-b]carbazole, in cell culture medium, as a factor that controls the background aryl hydrocarbon receptor activity
TOXICOLOGICAL SCIENCES 2005;85(2):935-43
Subchronic toxicity of Baltic herring oil and its fractions in the rat (III) bone tissue composition and dimension, and ratio of n-6/n-3 fatty acids in serum phospholipids
BASIC & CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY & TOXICOLOGY 2005;96(6):453-64
Identification of factors that controls the CYP1A1 background activity in vitro
TOXICOLOGY AND APPLIED PHARMACOLOGY 2004;197(3):216-216
Subchronic toxicity of Baltic herring oil and its fractions in the rat I: Fractionation and levels of organohalogen pollutants
PHARMACOLOGY & TOXICOLOGY 2002;91(5):220-31
Subchronic toxicity of Baltic herring oil and its fractions in the rat II: Clinical observations and toxicological parameters
PHARMACOLOGY & TOXICOLOGY 2002;91(5):232-44
Tissue distribution and half-lives of individual polychlorinated biphenyls and serum levels of 4-hydroxy-2,3,3 ',4 ',5-pentachlorobiphenyl in the rat
TOXICOLOGICAL SCIENCES 2002;70(2):171-82
Multivariate modelling of polychlorinated biphenyl-induced CYP1A activity in the MH1C1 rat hepatoma cell line
ATLA-ALTERNATIVES TO LABORATORY ANIMALS 2001;29(3):291-5