2008 PhD in Toxicology from the University of Duisburg-Essen, Essen, Germany.
2000 M.Sc. in Life Sciences from the University of Lucknow, Lucknow, India.
1998 BSc in Life Sciences from the University of Lucknow, Lucknow, India.
Research Project 1: Enzymatic biodegradation of carbon nanotubes.
Carbon nanotubes (CNTs) are being Explored for Numerous engineering and biomedical applications. However, questions related to Their Capacity for Causing long- and short-term diseases in humans still persists. Human beings can be exposed to CNTs bothering occupationally and non-occupationally.
In the current study, we focus on the enzymatic biodegradation of the oxidized single-walled CNTs With / Without Surface Modifications Following exposure in human beings using peroxidase enzymes naturally present within the body as an immune defense mechanism. The Project is Funded by the Swedish Research Council for Environmental, Agricultural Sciences and Spacial Planning awarded to Professor Bengt Fadeel.
Research Project 2: Endocrine disruption by metal-based nanoparticles.
Engineered metal-based nanomaterials are being produced for electronics, cosmetics and food industries. Therefore, exposure of humans to These nanoparticles Becomes unavoidable. Due to Their small dimensions, high surface charge and reactivity, These nanoparticles can penetrate through the thin tissue of lungs, and through the mulilayered tissue of skin and GI tract Reaching the circulatory system. From there These nanoparticles can ask Further Ask the Carried to secondary target organs Such as endocrine glands.
In the current study, We Are Focusing on Determining the mechanism of action of the metallic nanoparticles into Causing Cellular and genomic damages to the hormone producing cells present within the endocrine glands and on the physiological activity of the metabolically active cells responding to These cell-signaling molecules. The project is partly funded the The The Village Karolinska Institutet Foundation Grant, 2013.
1. Bhattacharya K, Sacchetti C, El-Sayed R, Fornara A, Kotchey GP, Gaugler YES, Star A, Bottini M, Fadeel B. Enzymatic 'stripping' and the degradation of pegylated carbon nanotubes. Nanoscale. 2014 Dec. 21; 6 (24): 14686-90. PubMed PMID: 25,377,797th Impact factor - 6.7
2. Bhattacharya K, Farcal L, Fadeel B. Shifting Identities of metal oxide nanoparticles: Focus on inflammation. MRS Bulletin 39 (11), 970-975. Impact factor - 5:09
3. Farrera C, Bhattacharya K, Lazzaretto B, Andon FT Hultenby K, Kotchey GP, Star A, Fadeel B. Extracellular entrapment and the degradation of single-walled carbon nanotubes. Nanoscale. 2014 June 21; 6 (12): 6974-83. PubMed PMID: 24,835,568th Impact factor - 6.7
4. Bhattacharya K, Andon FT, El-Sayed R Fadeel B. Mechanisms of carbon nanotube-induced toxicity: Focus on pulmonary inflammation. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2013 Dec; 65 (15): 2087-97. Review. PubMed PMID: 23,751,779th Impact Factor: 12.7
5. Fadeel B, Karlsson HL, Bhattacharya K. Geoengineering: perilous particles. Science. 2013 Jul 3; 340 (6132): 548-9. PubMed PMID: 23,641,092th Letter to Editor. Impact Factor: 31.4
6. Bhattacharya K , Hoffmann E; Schins R; Boertz J; Prantl EM; Alink GM; Byrne HJ; Kuhlbusch TAJ; Rahman Q; Wiggers H, Schulz, C; Dipping E: Comparison of micro- and nanoscale Fe + 3-containing ( hematite) particles for Their toxicological properties in human lung cells in vitro, Toxicological Sciences, 2012. Impact Factor: 4.3
Academic honors, awards and prizes
2014 Karolinska Institutet Foundation Grant.
2014 Travel Grant (Period 4) from the Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden for traveling to 53rd Society of Toxicology Meeting, Phoenix, Arizona, United States.
2013 Karolinska Institutet Foundation Grant.
2013 Best Poster Award, 2nd QNano Conference, Prague, Czech Republic.
2011 Travel Grant from the Health Research Board (Ireland) to attend "Molecular Mechanisms of Cancer", held at the National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland, United States.
2009 Research Grant from Ureka, the Science Foundation of Ireland, Ireland.
2009 Young Scientist Award from the University of Duisburg-Essen, Essen, Germany.
2008 Travel Grant from the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft for visiting 47th Annual Meeting of the Society of Toxicology, Seattle, United States.
2007 Best Poster Award, EnTox, Dortmund, Germany.
2013 Lecture on 'Inflammatory Reaction of Carbon Nanotubes: Focus on biodegradation', at the Nanometer Structure Consortium, Lund University, Lund, Sweden.
2010 Lecture on 'Physico-chemical and toxicological analysis of Silica Zeolite-based MFI nanoparticles', at the Department of Inorganic Chemistry, University of Duisburg-Essen, Essen, Germany.
2009 Lecture on 'An overview of nanoparticles', at the Department of Research and Development, Integral University, Lucknow, India.
2005 Lecture on 'Human Risk Assessment Studies in asbestosis based industries in India', at the Institute of Hygiene and Occupational Medicine, University Hospital Essen, Essen, Germany.