My recent research has focused on redefining the historically accepted, static interpretation of crystal structures, to reveal perfectly evolved, structurally dynamic molecular machines. Recent developments in synchrotron intensity, room temperature data collection and sophisticated software have resulted in high quality X-ray diffraction data from which an unprecedented level of dynamic information can be reliably extracted. My current research has allowed me to combine such advances with another frontier of structural biology, membrane protein crystallography.
2007 – 2012: PhD, Research School of Chemistry, Australian National University: “Structural Investigation of mechanism in human Glutathione Transferase Omega.”
2003 – 2006: B.Med.Sc. (Hons - 1st class), Australian National University
- Brock, J. S., Hamberg, M., Balagunaseelan, N., Goodman, M., Morgenstern, R., Strandback, E., et al. (2016). A dynamic Asp-Arg interaction is essential for catalysis in microsomal prostaglandin E2 synthase. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 113(4), 201522891–977. http://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1522891113
- Cebula, M., Turan, I. S., Sjödin, B., Thulasingam, M., Brock, J., Chmyrov, V., et al. (2016). Catalytic Conversion of Lipophilic Substrates by Phase constrained Enzymes in the Aqueous or in the Membrane Phase. Scientific Reports, 6, 38316. http://doi.org/10.1038/srep38316
- Brock, J., Board, P. G., & Oakley, A. J. (2013). Structural Insights into Omega-Class Glutathione Transferases: A Snapshot of Enzyme Reduction and Identification of a Non-Catalytic Ligandin Site. PLoS One, 8(4), e60324. http://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0060324.t001
- Zhou, H., Brock, J., Liu, D., Board, P. G., & Oakley, A. J. (2012). Structural insights into the dehydroascorbate reductase activity of human omega-class glutathione transferases. J Mol Biol, 420(3), 190–203. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmb.2012.04.014
- Zhou, H., Brock, J., Casarotto, M. G., Oakley, A. J., & Board, P. G. (2011). Novel folding and stability defects cause a deficiency of human glutathione transferase omega 1. J Biol Chem, 286(6), 4271–4279. http://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M110.197822
Academic honors, awards and prizes
18th Swedish Conference on Protein Structure and Function, selceted speaker. -2014.
36th Lorne Conference on Protein Structure and Function, Student Poster Prize — 2011.
ANU PhD Scholarship — 2007.
Alan Sargeson Supplementary Scholarship — 200
RSC Supplementary Scholarship — 2007