Georgios Sotiriou is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology at Karolinska Institutet focusing on nanobiotechnology and biomaterial technology. He received his PhD from ETH Zurich, Switzerland (2011) and carried out postdoctoral research stays in Harvard University (2013-2015) and ETH Zurich (2015-2016) before joining MTC. His research has been recognized internationally by several awards including the 2011 AIChE Bionanotechnology Graduate Student award, the 2012 Best PhD Thesis Award from the Swiss Chemical Society, the 2012 ETH Medal for outstanding Dissertation and the 2013 Hilti Award for Innovative Research.
PhD (2011), Dept. Mechanical and Process Engineering, ETH Zurich, Switzerland.
MSc (2008), Micro- and Nanosystems, Depts. Mechanical and Process Engineering and Information Technology and Electrical Engineering, ETH Zurich, Switzerland.
Diploma (2006), Dept. Applied Physics, National Technical University of Athens, Greece.
Nanoscale functional materials and devices for biomedical applications
Nanostructured materials show great potential in the biomedical field as they can serve as superior bioimaging contrast agents, diagnostic and therapeutic tools. Antibacterial nanosilver, plasmonic nanosized noble metals, quantum dots, nanophosphors and superparamagnetic nanoparticles constitute some of such functional materials.
Here, we focus on aerosol manufacturing of smart nanoscale materials and devices and investigate the parameters that influence their properties, targeting superior performance in theranostics. Our approach is highly multidisciplinary combining expertise from material engineering, bioengineering and health sciences. This allows for the design and engineering of biomaterials that exhibit the desired functionality in applications ranging from diagnostics to therapeutic interventions.
If you are a student and you like the above research topics, please do not hesitate to contact me. Research projects (e.g. master thesis) may be available!
-Total number of publications: 38 (36 original research articles, 2 reviews)
-First author: 19
-Corresponding author: 5
-Without PhD supervisor: 18
-Total citations: 929 (ISI Web of Science), 1075 (Scopus), 1379 (Harzing’s PoP-Google Scholar)
-h-index: 18 (ISI Web of Science), 19 (Scopus), 19 (Harzing’s PoP-Google Scholar)
-Total IF: 262.2
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
38. A. Spyrogianni, I. K. Herrmann, M. S. Lucas, J-C. Leroux & G. A. Sotiriou. “Quantitative analysis of the deposited nanoparticle dose on cell cultures by optical absorption spectroscopy” Nanomedicine 11, 2483-2496 (2016). link
37. F. H. L. Starsich, G. A. Sotiriou, M. C. Wurnig, C. Eberhardt, A. M. Hirt, A. Boss & S. E. Pratsinis. “Silica-coated non-stoichiometric nano Zn-ferrites for magnetic resonance imaging and hyperthermia treatment” Adv. Healthc. Mater. in press DOI: 10.1002/adhm.201600725 (2016). link
36. A. Teleki, F. L. Haufe, A. M. Hirt, S. E. Pratsinis & G. A. Sotiriou. “Highly scalable production of uniformly-coated superparamagnetic nanoparticles for triggered drug release from alginate hydrogels” RSC Adv. 6, 21503-21510 (2016). link
35. G. A. Sotiriou, C. O. Blattmann & Y. Deligiannakis. “Nanoantioxidant-driven plasmon enhanced proton-coupled electron transfer” Nanoscale 8, 796-803 (2016).
-Cover page of issue #2, published January 2016. (2016). link
34. G. A. Sotiriou, D. Singh, F. Zhang, M-C. G. Chalbot, L. Hoering, I. G. Kavouras W. Wohlleben & P. Demokritou. “Thermal decomposition of nano-enabled thermoplastics: Possible environmental health and safety implications” J. Hazard. Mater. 305, 87-95 (2016). link
33. L. Wang, D. C. Davidson, R. Derk, S. Luanpitpong, G. A. Sotiriou, P. Demokritou, V. Castranova, Y. Rojanasakul, T. A. Stueckle. “Ferric oxide nanoparticles (nFe2O3) induce neoplastic transformation of primary human small airway epithelial cell” Cancer Res. 75(15 Suppl):2723 (2015). link
32. G. A. Sotiriou, D. Singh, F. Zhang, W. Wohlleben, M-C. G. Chalbot, I. G. Kavouras & P. Demokritou. “An integrated methodology for the assessment of environmental health implications during thermal decomposition of nano-enabled products” Environ. Sci.: Nano 2, 262-272 (2015). link
31. K. Fujiwara, G. A. Sotiriou & S. E. Pratsinis. “Enhanced Ag+ ion Release from aqueous nanosilver suspensions by absorption of ambient CO2” Langmuir 31, 5284–5290 (2015). link
30. S. Pirela, G.A. Sotiriou, D. Bello, M. Shafer, K. Lee Bunker, V. Castranova, T. Thomas & P. Demokritou. “Consumer exposures to laser printer-emitted nanoparticles: A case study of the life-cycle implications from nano-enabled products” Nanotoxicology 9, 760-768 (2015). link
29. C. O. Blattmann, G. A. Sotiriou & S. E. Pratsinis. “Rapid synthesis of flexible conductive polymer nanocomposite films” Nanotechnology 26, 125601 (2015). link
28. C. Peters, O. Ergeneman, G. A. Sotiriou, H. Choi, B. J. Nelson & C. Hierold. “Visible light curing of Epon SU-8-based superparamagnetic polymer composites with random and ordered particle configurations” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 7, 193-200 (2015). link
27. G.A. Sotiriou, G.D. Etterlin, A. Spyrogianni, F. Krumeich, J-C. Leroux & S.E. Pratsinis. “Plasmonic biocompatible silver-gold alloyed nanoparticles”, Chem. Commun. 50, 13559-13562 (2014). link
26. N.V. Konduru, K.M. Murdaugh, G.A. Sotiriou, T.C. Donaghey, P. Demokritou, J.D. Brain & R.M. Molina. “Bioavailability, distribution and clearance of tracheally-instilled and gavaged uncoated or silica-coated zinc oxide nanoparticles”, Part. Fibre Toxicol. 11:44 (2014). link
25. V.A. Okello, S. Gass, G. Pyrgiotakis, N. Du, A. Lake, V. Kariuki, G.A. Sotiriou, B. Deng, P. Demokritou & O.A. Sadik. “Capture, isolation and electrochemical detection of industrially-relevant engineered aerosol nanoparticles using poly(amic) acid, phase-inverted, nano-membranes”, J. Hazard. Mater. 279, 365-374 (2014). link
24. G.A. Sotiriou, C. Watson, K.M. Murdaugh, T.H. Darrah, G. Pyrgiotakis, A. Elder, J.D. Brain & P. Demokritou. “Engineering Safer-by-Design, Transparent, Silica-coated ZnO Nanorods with Reduced DNA Damage Potential”, Environ. Sci.: Nano 1, 144-153 (2014). link Research highlight in RSC Chemistry World on 14 February 2014 link
23. G.A. Sotiriou, F. Starsich, A. Dasargyri, M.C. Wurnig, F. Krumeich, A. Boss, J-C. Leroux & S.E. Pratsinis. “Photothermal Killing of Cancer Cells by the Controlled Plasmonic Coupling of Silica-coated Au/Fe2O3 Nanoaggregates”, Adv. Funct. Mater. 24, 2818-2827 (2014). link Featured in ETH News on 24 March 2014 link Frontispiece of issue published on 21 May 2014: link
22. A.M. Hirt, G.A. Sotiriou, P.R. Kidambi & A. Teleki. “Effect of Size, Composition and Morphology on Magnetic Performance: First Order Reversal Curves Evaluation of Iron Oxide Nanoparticles”, J. Appl. Phys. 115, 044314 (2014). link
21. S. Fusco, M.S. Sakar, S. Kennedy, R. Bottani, F. Starsich, C. Peters, G.A. Sotiriou, S. Pané, S.E. Pratsinis, C. Hierold, D. Mooney & B. J. Nelson. “An Integrated Microrobotic Platform for On-demand, Targeted Therapeutic Interventions”, Adv. Mater. 26, 952-957 (2014). link Cover page of issue published on 12 February 2014
20. G.A. Sotiriou, M.A. Visbal-Onufrak, A. Teleki, E.J. Juan, A.M. Hirt, S.E. Pratsinis, C. Rinaldi, “Thermal Energy Dissipation by SiO2-coated Plasmonic-Superparamagnetic Nanoparticles in Alternating Magnetic Fields”, Chem. Mater. 25, 4603-4612 (2013). link
19. S. Gass, J. Cohen, G. Pyrgiotakis, G.A. Sotiriou, S.E. Pratsinis, P. Demokritou, “Safer Formulation Concept for Flame-Generated Engineered Nanomaterials”, ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng. 1, 843-857 (2013). link
18. A. Pratsinis, P. Hervella, J-C. Leroux, S.E. Pratsinis, G.A. Sotiriou, “Toxicity of Silver Nanoparticles in Macrophages”, Small 9, 2576-2584 (2013). link
17. G.A. Sotiriou, C.O. Blattmann, S.E. Pratsinis, “Flexible, Multifunctional, Magnetically Actuated Nanocomposite Films”, Adv. Funct. Mater. 23, 34-41 (2013). link
16. G.A. Sotiriou, “Biomedical Applications of Multifunctional Plasmonic Nanoparticles”, WIREs Nanomed. Nanobiotechnol. 5, 19-30 (2013). link
15. Y. Deligiannakis, G.A. Sotiriou, S.E. Pratsinis, “Antioxidant and Antiradical SiO2 Nanoparticles Covalently Functionalized with Gallic Acid”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 4, 6609-6617 (2012). link Featured in ETH life on 17 June 2013 link
14. G.A. Sotiriou, E. Diaz, M. S. Long, J. Godleski, J. Brain, S.E. Pratsinis, P. Demokritou, “A Novel Platform for Pulmonary and Cardiovascular Toxicological Characterization of Inhaled Engineered Nanomaterials”, Nanotoxicology 6, 680-690 (2012). link
13. G.A. Sotiriou, D. Franco, D. Poulikakos, A. Ferrari, “Optically Stable Biocompatible Flame-Made SiO2-Coated Y2O3:Tb3+ Nanophosphors for Cell Imaging”, ACS Nano 6, 3888–3897 (2012). link
12. C.S-J. Tsai, M.E. Echevarria-Vega, G.A. Sotiriou, C. Santeufemio, D. Schmidt, P. Demokritou, M. Ellenbecker, “Evaluation of Environmental Filtration Control of Engineered Nanoparticles using the Harvard Versatile Engineered Nanomaterial Generation System (VENGES)”, J. Nanopart. Res. 14, 812 (2012). link
11. O. Ergeneman, G. Chatzipirpiridis, J. Pokki, M. Marin-Suarez, G.A. Sotiriou, S. Medina-Rodriguez, J.F. Fernandez Sanchez, A. Fernandez-Gutierrez, S. Pane, B.J. Nelson, “In Vitro Oxygen Sensing using Intraocular Microrobots”, IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 59, 3104-3109 (2012). Cover page of issue published Nov 2012 link
10. G.A. Sotiriou, M. Schneider, S.E. Pratsinis, “Green, Silica-coated Monoclinic Y2O3:Tb3+ Nanophosphors: Flame Synthesis and Characterization”, J. Phys. Chem. C 116, 4493-4499 (2012). link
9. G.A. Sotiriou, A. Meyer, J.T.N. Knijnenburg, S. Panke, S.E. Pratsinis, “Quantifying the Origin of Released Ag+ ions from Nanosilver”, Langmuir 28, 15929–15936 (2012). link
8. S.B. Bubenhofer, C.M. Schumacher, F.M. Koehler, N.A. Luechinger, G.A. Sotiriou, R.N. Grass, W.J. Stark, “Electrical Resistivity of Assembled Transparent Inorganic Oxide Nanoparticle Thin Layers: Influence of Silica, Insulating Impurities and Surfactant Layer Thickness”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 4, 2664–2671 (2012). link
7. G.A. Sotiriou, S.E. Pratsinis, “Engineering Nanosilver as an Antibacterial, Biosensor and Bioimaging Material”, Curr. Opin. Chem. Eng. 1, 3-10 (2011). link
6. G.A. Sotiriou, A. Hirt, P.-Y. Lozach, A. Teleki, F. Krumeich, S.E. Pratsinis, “Hybrid Silica-coated, Janus-like Plasmonic-Magnetic Nanoparticles”, Chem. Mater. 23, 1985-1992 (2011). link
5. G.A. Sotiriou, A. Teleki, A. Camenzind, F. Krumeich, A. Meyer, S. Panke, S.E. Pratsinis, “Nanosilver on Nanostructured Silica: Antibacterial Activity and Ag Surface Area”, Chem. Eng. J. 170, 547-554 (2011). link
4. A.B. Dahlin, T. Sannomiya, R. Zahn, G.A. Sotiriou, J. Vörös, “Electrochemical Crystallization of Plasmonic Nanostructures”, Nano Lett. 11, 1337-1343 (2011). link
3. G.A. Sotiriou, M. Schneider, S.E. Pratsinis, “Color-Tunable Nanophosphors by Codoping Flame-Made Y2O3 with Tb and Eu”, J. Phys. Chem. C 115, 1084–1089 (2011). link
2. G.A. Sotiriou, T. Sannomiya, A. Teleki, F. Krumeich, J. Vörös, S.E. Pratsinis, “Non-toxic, Dry-coated Nanosilver for Plasmonic Biosensors”, Adv. Funct. Mater. 20, 4250-4257 (2010). Frontispiece of issue published on 21 Dec 2010 link
1. G.A. Sotiriou, S.E. Pratsinis, “Antibacterial Activity of Nanosilver Ions and Particles”, Environ. Sci. Technol. 44, 5649-5654 (2010). link
Academic honors, awards and prizes
2014 Elsevier Top Cited Paper Award for 2011 and 2012, AIChE 2014, Atlanta, USA.
2013 ETH Medal for Outstanding PhD Thesis, ETH Zurich.
2013 Hilti Award for Innovative Research, Zurich, Switzerland.
2013 TechConnect 2013 Innovation Award, Washington D.C., USA.
2012 Best PhD Thesis Award, Division of Polymers and Colloids, Swiss Chemical Society.
2012 Reg Davies Award, International Fine Particle Research Institute (IFPRI) 2012 Annual Meeting, Ludwigsburg, Germany.
2011 1st place at the AIChE Bionanotechnology Graduate Student Award, American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) 2011 Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.