I am an associate professor and specialist in cardiology and internal medicine. I hold a post as senior lecturer in medical education with a specialization in clinical teaching and are a member of the Pedagogy Academy at KI. Since 2012 I am a teacher representative on the Board of Higher Education at KI and I also chair the working group on Quality management system in higher education at KI. At national level I am senior project leader for the Lifestyle project run by the Swedish Medical Society on behalf of the National of Health and Wellfare.
I supervises several PhD students including in medical education research with a focus on professional development, interprofessional learning and clinical decision making.
Associate professor, Docent in Cardiology 2015
PhD in Internal Medicine at KI 2005.
National Cardiology Diploma as a specialist in Cardiology 1993
National Medicine Diploma as a specialist in Internal Medicine 1991
Medical licensure, Sweden 1986
Degree of Master of Science in Medicine1982
My research activities follow four main routes:
1) Cardiovascular prevention and implementation of support towards a healthier life-style.
2) Patients’ decision-making when afflicted by an acute myocardial infarction in relation to patient delay.
3) Professional development and learning from novice to expert level with emphasis on decision making in acute healthcare situations.
4) Implementation of evidence-based decision making in primary care.
The four areas are closely connected and integrated. The central aim is to understand the complexity of decision-making in relation to learning, prevention and disease. We employ classical and novel methodology, including randomized controlled quantitative studies, questionnaire studies, qualitative and mixed methods as well as megavariate statistics: Projection to Latent Structures (PLS).
I have a total of more than 16 weeks of formal teaching qualification merits. I have a wide experience of teaching for patients, students, doctoral students and in continuing education. I have more than thirteen years of management and development assignments in the Stockholm County Council and at KI.
One of my PhD student in medical education defended her thesis in 2014 and the other one will do that in 2016.
Some project examples:
• A randomized controlled educational intervention study with case methodology for primary care physicians. We showed significant costeffectiveness of the intervention and significantly reduced mortality in patients.
• Developed an elective course in Clinical reasoning to further develop the patient-based learning by including a recurrent structured reflection about and how to make wise decisions and why.
• An ethnographic research study of the learning environment and student interaction at an acut internal medicine care unit.
I was project manager for the design of the Centre for Clinical Education (CKU) and up to 2012 Director of CKU. I also participated in the managerial work with development, implementation and evaluation of the new medical program at KI and during 2006-2010 I was a member of the program committee.
Academic honors, awards and prizes
Awarded as Fellow of the Karolinska Institutet Pedagogy Academy for excellence in pedagogy, continuous development and contribution to high quality teaching at KI
Fellow of the European Society of cardiology (FESC) that is an internationally-recognised, prestigious position, confirmed by the FESC diploma, for excellent clinical cardiologists and cardiovascular scientists with a deep interest and knowledge of cardiovascular medicine.
Recognized as National Cardiovascular Prevention Coordinator of Sweden (NCPC Sweden) by the European Association for Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation (EACPR), working group of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC).