Adrian Levitsky is a Research Technician and Ph.D. Candidate at Karolinska Institutet's ClinTRID unit for Clinical Therapy Research, Inflammatory (Autoimmune) Diseases. Here, he works with diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus and pursues initiatives in rheumatology with predicting and monitoring disease course by imaging simulation, biomarkers, risk factors, as well as the use of complementary medicine.
Ph.D. Medical Science (Expected, 2017), Karolinska Institutet
M.Sc. Global Health, Karolinska Institutet
B.Sc. Human Factors Psychology; MR. Aerospace Life Sciences,
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Theme for doctoral projects: Predicting and monitoring disease course in rheumatoid arthritis: Imaging, biomarkers, risk factors, and complementary medicine
1. Imaging and predicted versus observed radiographic progression in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis (POPERA) in randomized trials
2. Biomarkers (survivin, adipokines) and their prediction of the inflammatory disease process of early rheumatoid arthritis
3. Lifestyle and exposures as risk factors (body mass index, smoking) in clinical outcomes of early rheumatoid arthritis
4. The use of complementary manual mobilization therapy and outcomes in patients with rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis
- Fluorescence optical imaging: a novel tool evaluated for diagnostic utility in early rheumatoid arthritis
- Rituximab for refractory lupus nephritis
- Early treatment intensification induces favourable radiographic outcomes according to predicted versus observed radiographic progression in early rheumatoid arthritis: a subanalysis of the randomised FIN-RACo and NEO-RACo trials.
Clin. Exp. Rheumatol. 2016 Aug;():
- Clinical roundup: selected treatment options for rheumatoid arthritis. Kaltenborn manual mobilization. Levitsky A, Kisten Y, Sundberg T, van Vollenhoven R. Alternative and Complementary Therapies. 2016 Aug;22(4):175.
- Detection of clinically manifest and silent synovitis in the hands and wrists by fluorescence optical imaging.
RMD Open 2015 ;1(1):e000106
- Predicted vs. observed radiographic progression in early rheumatoid arthritis (POPeRA): results from a randomized trial.
Scand. J. Rheumatol. 2015 ;44(5):348-53
- Treat-to-target in systemic lupus erythematosus: recommendations from an international task force.
Ann. Rheum. Dis. 2014 Jun;73(6):958-67
- Biologics in SLE: towards new approaches.
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 2013 Jun;27(3):341-9
- Rituximab in the management of systemic lupus erythematosus. Levitsky A, Linder S, van Vollenhoven R. Rheumatology Science and Practice / Науч-практич ревматол 2013 Apr; 51(3):223–239.
- Diet and Physical Activity Apps: Perceived Effectiveness by App Users.
JMIR Mhealth Uhealth 2016 Apr;4(2):e33
- International Development of Traditional Medicine/Complementary and Alternative Medicine Research – What Can Europe Learn? Hök J, Lewith G, Weidenhammer W, Santos-Rey K, Fønnebø V, Wiesener S, Falkenberg T. Forschende Komplementärmedezin 2012 Nov;19(suppl 2):44–50.
Academic honors, awards and prizes