- Completed PhD with a public defense on the topic entitled “Effects of repeated biting and perturbation in oral fine motor control due to experimental pain and alterations in orofacial somatosensory inputs” at the Section of Orofacial Pain and Jaw Function, Department of Dentistry, Aarhus University (2015).
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) from Rajiv Gandhi University of Health and Sciences, Bangalore, India (2007).
My research focuses on clinical behavioural studies on orofacial neurosciences with special emphasis on behaviour learning and skill acquisition and effects of training in improvement of fine oral motor skills. I am also interested in the cortical plasticity in the corticomotor pathways related to the various orofacial muscles. Further, I also am interested in influence of craniofacial pain on oral motor and fine motor control and adaptation of altered oral motor functions.
- Involved in supervision and assisting master and dental students in research projects
- Assisted teaching second-grade students on tooth morphology at Aarhus University.
- Supervised Visiting researchers in formulating research study, data collection, data analysis and contribution in scientific writing of peer-reviewed international publications.
Academic honors, awards and prizes
- Obtained research support grant for PhD project from Colgate.
- Obtained travel grant for research stay at Karolinska Institutet, Sweden.
- “Effects of craniofacial pain on fine jaw motor control and mastication” presented at the National Conference on Oral Physiology in Nyborg, Denmark, Jan 2013.
- “Craniofacial pain, fine jaw motor control and mastication” presented at workshop on Orofacial pain - Insights into mechanisms and contemporary management, Department of Dentistry, Aarhus University, Aarhus, July 2013.
- “Basics of pain research” AKADEMIET for Talentfulde Unge, at Herning, Region Midtjylland, Denmark.
SCIENTIFIIC PAPER AND POSTER PRESENTATION
- Kumar A, Svensson K, Baad-Hansen L, Trulsson M , Isidor F, Svensson P. Effect of Repeated Food Morsel Splitting on Jaw Muscle Control. IADR, Cape Town, 2014.
- Kumar A, Ghosh S, Logani A. “Identification of dental patterns in orthopantomographs in Indian population and its significance in forensics” at 2nd International Conference on Medical Negligence and litigation in Medical Practice & 2nd International Conference on Recent Advances in Forensic Sciences, Forensic Medicine & Toxicology” Goa, India, Feb 2011.
- Kumar A, Mathur VP, Jain V “A new technique for predictable color match and surface contours in class IV restorations” Poster Presentation at FDI Annual Dental Congress, Singapore, Sept 2009.
- Kumar A, Shetty V. "Clinical strategies in proximo incisal site restoration" at 15th annual conference of IAACD, Jaipur, India, Oct 2007