NVS - Application and admission
The application process consists of three steps: review before advertising, advertising and application for the admission seminar. Information on what the different steps in the application should contain can be found here.
|NVS Admission seminar||2017-02-15|
|NVS Admission seminar||2017-05-17|
|NVS Admission seminar||2017-09-20|
|NVS Admission seminar||2017-11-29|
In order to be admitted as a doctoral student it is essential that the applicant meets the general and specific entry requirements (eligibility).
The Application Process
As of 1 January 2014, all doctoral student positions with Karolinska Institutet as lead employer should be advertised. The admission process consists of three different steps. Below is an outline to guide in the process when planning for recruitment of a doctoral student.
Exemption from advertising
Exemption from the requirement to advertise the position can be made after approval by the Director of Doctoral Education at NVS, Maria Ankarcrona. Cases where an exemption from the advertisement requirement could for example be doctoral studentships connected to external scholarships and studentships entirely supported by another main employer (i.e. the student will not be employed by Karolinska Institutet). Send the exemption application form, research plan and supervisors CV (2 pages) together with .app 4 to Catarina Cleveson for approval by the Director of Doctoral education.
Review before advertising (step 1)
All doctoral studentship positions, including student position financed by KID-funding, must be previewed before advertisment. The application must be approved by the Head of the division planned to host the student (usually the same division as the main supervisor). After approval of the Head of Division, please send the application by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following documents should be sent as a PDF file via e-mail to Catarina Cleveson.
- Financing plan. Amount per month including LKP and INDI. (app. 4 of the individual study plan, form 3) The financing plan shall be signed by the Head of Division, the proposed main supervisor and any other part responsible for the funding.
- Research plan (see template). NB, for the phase I review the planned substudies could be more briefly described than what is required for the final application in step III.
- All intended supervisors' curriculum vitae (maximum of 2 pages/supervisor) and their proof of formal supervisor training.
Advertising (step 2)
For more information on how to recruit doctoral students, see Karolinska Institutet’s Intraweb.
The following forms should be submitted via email to the HR officer Mona Hellstadius, email@example.com
- Form: Decisions about recruiting (in Swedish)
- Form: Advertising "Mall_Doktorand_engelska.docx" Link to NVS internal web - log in required.
The main supervisor is responsible for interviews and selection as well as to submit a written statement with a motivation of the candidate selected. The selected candidate applies for general eligibility (form 1).
Final application and admission (step 3)
When offered a position you must apply for an assessment of your eligibility. We recommend you to do it as soon as you have been notified.
The final application, in paper format (single-sided printing and with all the signatures in original), approved by the Head of Division and reviewed by the division's representative of the Committee for postgraduate education (FoUK), 3 weeks before the admssion seminar. Thereafter the final application shall be sent to Catarina Cleveson 2 weeks before the admission seminar.
The final application must contain:
- Approved eligibility to doctoral studies (form 1)
- Application for admission (form 2)
- Individual study plan (form 3 + appendix 4)
- Research plan (see template)
- Curriculum vitae of the candidate
- Copies of ethical approvals for all included projects and, in cases where approval is lacking, a description of the permits required
- A copy the document certifying that the main supervisor has passed Karolinska Institutet’s course on research supervision (or other supervisor training approved by the Board of postgraduate education)
- CV for all supervisors (max 2 pages/supervisor)
(and, if applicable, the approved form for exemption from the announcement requirement)
Important to note: Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant and only considered when returned completed.
The admission seminar consists of a short presentation (10 minutes) of the research project for the Admission Board. The presentation is given in English by the applicant. A discussion about the application and the project follows, led by the discussion leader of the Admission Board. The presence of the main supervisor and, if possible, co-supervisor(s) and external mentor, is required and all are asked to take part in the discussion together with the applicant.
The applicant must show a valid personal identification document in connection with the admission seminar.
Intended learning outcomes
Read more about intended learning outcomes on KI's web doctoral education.
Rules and general syllabus
If and when you have questions regarding admission to doctoral education, please contact:
Phone: 08-524 868 32