The FACS Facility
The FACS (Fluorescence Activated Cell Sorter) Facility at MTC is intended for MTC and KI users. Other external users are also welcome if time is available. We offer high speed cell sorting as well as advanced and general flow cytometry analysis.
Birgitta Wester is responsible for the operation of the facility. She introduces new users to instruments and software.
Maria Johansson offers guidance and support for planning of advanced multicolor experiments and the development of new antibody panels.
Cell sorting is done on four different instruments, and is performed by Birgitta Wester, Kiran Sedimbi and Maria Johansson.
We offer five instruments for cell analysis and two computers for data analysis.
To book time for sorting or cell analysis, you are welcome to the facility or to contact Birgitta Wester (see contact details below)
Instruments for Cell Analysis
- FACScan, with a 488 nm laser and three colors, linked to Mac and operated via CellQuestPro software.
- FACSCalibur, with two lasers: 488 nm and 633 nm, four colors, linked to Mac and operated via CellQuestPro software.
- CyAn ADP with three lasers: 488 nm, 635nm and 405nm, nine colors, linked to PC and operated via Summit software.
- BD LSR II with four lasers, 488, 532, 640 and 405 nm, 18 colors, linked to a PC and operated via FACSDiva software.
- FACSVerse with 3 lasers 488nm, 640nm and 405nm, 8 colors linked to a PC and operated via FACSSuite software.
These instruments are available for user operation, provided you have obtained a "drivers licence" (instruction on how to use them)
Instruments for Cell sorting
· MoFlo XDP with five lasers: Red 640nm, yellow/green 561nm, blue 488nm, violet 405nm, UV 355nm and 14 color detection and operated via Summit software. Four different cell populations can be sorted into collection tubes or multi-well plates (multiple formats) or slides with a refrigeration/heater option.
· BD FACSAria™ Fusion operated via FACSDiva software. The sorter has 4 lasers: Red 640nm, Yellow-green 561nm, Blue 488nm and Violet 405nm and can detect 16 fluorescence parameters. Four different cell populations can be sorted into collection tubes or multi-well plates (multiple formats) or slides with a refrigeration/heater option. This instrument can be used for BSL2 enhanced sorts.
· BD FACSJazz™ sorter operated via FACS Sortware. The sorter has 3 lasers: Red 640nm, Yellow-green 561nm and Blue 488nm and 6 fluorescence parameters. Two different cell populations can be sorted into collection tubes or multi-well plates with a refrigeration/heater option. This sorter is preferentially used for infected/transduced material, BSL2 enhanced.
· FACSVantage/DiVa operated via FACSDiva software. The sorter has two laser units, one Dual, 488nm and UV 360nm, and one Multiline, 457.9-947.1nm, and five detectors for fluorescence. Four different cell populations can be sorted into collection tubes or multi-well plates (multiple formats) or slides with a refrigeration/heater option.
Cell sorts are performed by Birgitta Wester, Kiran Sedimbi and Maria Johansson.
Computers for Data Analysis
- A Mac G4 equipped with FlowJo, CellQuestPro software.
- A PC workstation equipped with FACSSuite software and CBA (Cytometric Bead Array)
All computers are linked to the net and have access to printers
|Instrument||Function||MTC users (SEK/h)||KI users (SEK/h)|
|FACScan, FACScalibur||Analysis of cells - acquisition||350||450|
|Analysis of cells - acquisition||440||560|
|LSR-II||Analysis of cells - acquisition||530||670|
|FACS Vantage||Sorting of cells||570||730|
|MoFlo XDP||Sorting of cells||750||960|
|FACSAria Fusion||Sorting of cells||750*||960*|
|FACS Jazz||Sorting of cells||750*||960*|
|Computers||Analysis of data||60||75|
- Minimal time for acquisition is 15 min
- Minimal time for sorting is 60 min
- Cost for commercial users is double the MTC cost
- Cost for performing acquisition by the core facility is an additional 300 SEK/h
- Cost for advice when planning multi-parameter experiments is 150 SEK/h
- Operator training FacsAria Fusion: 8000 SEK*
- Operator training Analysis Instruments: 800 SEK
*prices are under evaluation