The COGS project
The Collaborative Oncological Gene-environment Study
COGS is a European Commission funded project with the overall objectives a) to determine the genetic determinants of breast, ovarian and prostate cancer, b) to assess gene and environment interaction, c) to assess inheritance of prognosis, d) to develop risk models to allow prediction of breast, ovarian and prostate cancer and e) to assess the organizational, ethical, legal and social implications of preventive initiatives.
By 2012 more than 250,000 individuals had been genotyped using the 200,000 SNPs iCOGS chip, and the first major publications emerged in March 2013.
- Identification and molecular characterization of a new ovarian cancer susceptibility locus at 17q21.31.
Nat Commun 2013 ;4():1627
- Epigenetic analysis leads to identification of HNF1B as a subtype-specific susceptibility gene for ovarian cancer.
Nat Commun 2013 ;4():1628
- Large-scale genotyping identifies 41 new loci associated with breast cancer risk.
Nat. Genet. 2013 Apr;45(4):353-61, 361e1-2
- GWAS meta-analysis and replication identifies three new susceptibility loci for ovarian cancer.
Nat. Genet. 2013 Apr;45(4):362-70, 370e1-2
- Multiple independent variants at the TERT locus are associated with telomere length and risks of breast and ovarian cancer.
Nat. Genet. 2013 Apr;45(4):371-84, 384e1-2
- Genome-wide association studies identify four ER negative-specific breast cancer risk loci.
Nat. Genet. 2013 Apr;45(4):392-8, 398e1-2
- Common genetic determinants of breast-cancer risk in East Asian women: a collaborative study of 23 637 breast cancer cases and 25 579 controls.
Hum. Mol. Genet. 2013 Jun;22(12):2539-50
- Genome-wide meta-analysis identifies 11 new loci for anthropometric traits and provides insights into genetic architecture.
Nat. Genet. 2013 May;45(5):501-12
- Evidence of gene-environment interactions between common breast cancer susceptibility loci and established environmental risk factors.
PLoS Genet. 2013 ;9(3):e1003284
- Genome-wide association study in BRCA1 mutation carriers identifies novel loci associated with breast and ovarian cancer risk.
PLoS Genet. 2013 ;9(3):e1003212
- Identification of a BRCA2-specific modifier locus at 6p24 related to breast cancer risk.
PLoS Genet. 2013 ;9(3):e1003173
- Functional variants at the 11q13 risk locus for breast cancer regulate cyclin D1 expression through long-range enhancers.
Am. J. Hum. Genet. 2013 Apr;92(4):489-503