Baromedicine and human physiology in extreme environments
We study the lungs and respiration in humans with physiological measurements and imaging techniques in health and disease.
Our research relates to both hypoxia and hyperoxia and our focus varies from strenuous exercise in elite athletes to acute and chronic pulmonary embolism in the clinical setting. Magnetic resonance imaging is our primary method.
|Peter Lindholm||MD, PhD, group leader|
|Johan Uusijärvi||MD, doctoral student|
|Anna Nordgren-Rogberg||MD, doctoral student|
|Roberto Vargas Paris||doctoral student|
1. Development of new methods using magnetic resonance imaging to diagnose and study pulmonary embolism and related patophysiology.
2. The effects of hyperoxic exercise regarding performance improvements in elite athletes.
3. The physiology and pathophysiology of breath-hold diving; studies in human physiology relating to breath-hold diving and drowning.
4. Hyperbaric physiology and patophysiology related to endogenous nitric oxide.
- Swedish National Centre for Research in Sports (in Swedish)
- Fraenckels fond för flygmedicinsk forskning
- Stockholm County Council (ALF)
- Swedish Heart and Lung Foundation
Effects of dietary inorganic nitrate on static and dynamic breath-holding in humans.
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 2013 Jan;185(2):339-48
Transient ischemic attacks from arterial gas embolism induced by glossopharyngeal insufflation and a possible method to identify individuals at risk.
Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 2013 Mar;113(3):803-10
Nitrox permits direct exit for attendants during extended hyperbaric oxygen treatment.
Undersea Hyperb Med ;39(1):605-12
Investigation of a demand-controlled rebreather in connection with a diving accident.
Undersea Hyperb Med ;38(1):61-72
A fluoroscopic and laryngoscopic study of glossopharyngeal insufflation and exsufflation.
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 2009 Jun;167(2):189-94
The physiology and pathophysiology of human breath-hold diving.
J. Appl. Physiol. 2009 Jan;106(1):284-92
Pulmonary edema and hemoptysis after breath-hold diving at residual volume.
J. Appl. Physiol. 2008 Apr;104(4):912-7
Aggravated hypoxia during breath-holds after prolonged exercise.
Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 2005 Mar;93(5-6):701-7
Oxygen-conserving effects of apnea in exercising men.
J. Appl. Physiol. 1999 Dec;87(6):2122-7