Visa and residence permit

Students from outside the EU/EEA

Students from outside the EU/EEA who intend to stay in Sweden more than three months must apply for a residence permit for studies. The permit must be issued before entry to Sweden.

Important! Apply as soons as possible
It is very important that you apply for a residence permit as soon as you receive notification of your admission. The time from applying for your residence permit to receiving it can be long.  Also, if you have to pay tuition fee, you cannot apply for a residence permit until you have paid the first instalment, so you also need to do this as soon as possible.

The responsible authority in Sweden is the Swedish Migration Board (Migrationsverket). Please visit their website for details regarding the regulations and the application procedure: Rules for students from outside the EU/EEA

A person who is in Sweden for a period of less than three months does not need a residence permit. However, citizens of certain countries must have a visa. You apply for visa at the Swedish embassy or a Swedish consulate in your home country or in your country of residence: Swedish embassies and consulates

Students from EU/EEA and Switzerland

Students from the EU/EEA do not need a visa or residence permit for staying in Sweden. An EU/EEA citizen who is staying in Sweden for more than a year should however register with the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket).

If you are a citizen of Switzerland you must apply for a residence permit. Nordic citizens can spend time in and live in Sweden without having to register or hold a residence permit.

Rules for students from EU/EEA and Switzerland

Extension of residence permit

A residence permit is granted for one year at a time. If the period of study is less than one year you will be granted a residence permit that is valid for the length of the study period. If you have been enrolled for continued full-time studies and still have your support secured, you can apply for an extension of your residence permit.

Work during studies

Foreign students are allowed to work in Sweden during their period of study. No additional work permit is required. However, please be aware that it is difficult to find a part-time job in Stockholm, especially if you do not speak Swedish.

Working in Sweden