Practical Information for Exchange Students

We wish you a safe journey to Stockholm and Karolinska Institutet, one of the world's leading medical universities. Karolinska Institutet offers the broadest range of education in medicine and health sciences in Sweden.

Here you will find information to help you prepare for your journey to Sweden, such as accommodation, arrival, and residence permits. For further information about coming to Stockholm and student services at Karolinska Institutet, please have a look at the booklet Useful Facts. You can also read the stories about Swedes and Sweden that Professor Jonas Ludvigsson at MEB has compiled, to prepare yourself before travelling to Stockholm.


Exchange students who come to study at Karolinska Institutet within an established exchange agreement are eligible to apply for accommodation through Karolinska Institutet Housing AB (KI Housing). To get an idea of what the accommodation looks like, please visit the Students at KI-blog, where students have written about housing in Stockholm as well as filmed the locations.

Student Accommodation through KI Housing

KI Housing offers furnished student rooms, most of them located in Solna close to Campus Solna but also near Södersjukhuset and in Vårberg. Once  you have been admitted to Karolinska Institutet as an exchange student, your international coordinator at Karolinska Institutet will send you the acceptance letter, which you must upload online at the KI Housing website. As there is a shortage of student rooms in Stockholm, we advise you to apply for accommodation as soon as you have received your acceptance letter from Karolinska Institutet. Please note that Karolinska Institutet cannot guarantee accommodation for all exchange students.

Karolinska Institutet Housing AB

Home Insurance

We strongly advise you to take out a home insurance (hemförsäkring) for your stay in Stockholm. If anything is stolen from your room, or if any property is damaged or lost during your rental period, you are responsible for covering the repair or replacement costs. If you have a residence permit for studies in Sweden for at least 12 months, you can register in Sweden and receive a Swedish personal identity number. With a Swedish personal identity number, you may take out home insurance through any Swedish insurance company.

Accommodation Links

If you want to find housing on your own, it is good to know that the housing market in Stockholm is difficult. The lack of both student housing and other housing can make it difficult to find accommodation. When you rent a property, there should always be a written contract between you and the landlord (or equivalent). To avoid becoming a victim of fraud, please follow the checklist from Akademisk kvart:

  • Visit the accommodation before you accept the offer
  • Do not pay any money before you sign a contract
  • Agree to rules before you move to the accommodation. For example, access to common areas, telephone, electricity, etc.
  • Make sure you save the receipts for the paid rent

Accommodation tips on KI Visiting Researcher
Accommodation tips from KI Housing
airbnb (private accommodation)
Akademisk kvart (subletting for students)
Bostad direkt (subletting)
Housing anywhere (international student accommodation network)
Moving2Stockholm (tips and tricks on how to find accommodation in Stockholm)
Stockholm Student Housing (SSSB)


Pick-up Service

To make your arrival in Stockholm as smooth as possible, we offer a pickup service for international students. Upon arrival in Stockholm, take the airport coach (Flygbussarna) to the Stockholm City Terminal, where you can be met and escorted to your accommodation. You will be travelling by public transport to your accommodation, and you will be able to buy your public transport ticket at the City Terminal.

Flygbussarna Airport Coaches
SL - Stockholm Public Transport

As soon as you have the details for your arrival in Stockholm, please e-mail the following to

  • Day and time of arrival
  • Flight number and airport
  • Accommodation in Stockholm
  • Mobile phone number

Banking Information

Due to strict regulations and national security aspects, opening a bank account in a foreign country can be difficult. If you are staying here for a shorter time it is normally easier to use your bank account in your home country for financial matters. We strongly recommend you to bring a Visa/Mastercard to Sweden, as cards are widely used all over the country. Some banks in Stockholm do offer international students to open a bank account and, depending on the length of your stay, also access to Internet banking and an ATM-card. Please note that we cannot assist you in opening a bank account, you would have to do it yourself.

SEB bank offer for international students

Swedish Bankers' Association - information about opening a bank account in Sweden

Insurance and Health Care

Before arriving in Sweden, you need to make sure that you have adequate insurance coverage during your exchange period. Medical treatment is expensive without any form of health insurance.

Insurance During School Hours

All registered students in Sweden, regardless of nationality, are covered by a personal injury insurance (the general student insurance), through the Swedish Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency (Kammarkollegiet). The insurance applies in Sweden during school hours and during travel to and from the location where school hours are spent.

Nordic and EU/EEA Citizens

Students from EU/EEA countries should register in their home country in order to obtain the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). With the EHIC you are entitled to health care in Sweden on the same conditions as Swedish citizens.

The European Health Insurance Card

Non-EU/EEA Citizens

Students from outside EU/EEA are advised to take out their own health insurance, as well as insurance covering personal belongings and liability cover. Sweden has reciprocal healthcare agreements with Australia, Algeria and the province of Quebec in Canada. Students from these countries are entitled to health care in Sweden but the need for medical care must arise during your stay in Sweden.

Health care within Stockholm County Council

Home Insurance

In addition to a health insurance we strongly advise you to take out home insurance for your stay in Stockholm. If anything is stolen from your student room or flat, or if any property is damaged or lost during your rental period, you are responsible for covering the repair or replacement costs.

Please make sure that you are adequatly insured while you are in Sweden.

In Case of Illness

Emergency Assistance

In case of emergency, dial 112 for assistance. Only contact the emergency assistance if there is a major emergency.


There are several pharmacy (apotek) chains in Sweden, where you can ask for medical advice and buy medication to treat minor illnesses such as headache, cold and cough, allergic reactions, fever and stomach problems. For most other medication a doctor's prescription is needed. In most pharmacies there are two departments: one for self-medication and one for prescribed medication. Most pharmacies are open 10-18, but two are open longer:

Apoteket C W Scheele, metro station: T-centralen
Apotek Hjärtat, metro station: Mariatorget (Södermalm)

Local Health Centres

If you get ill and need medical care in Stockholm you should contact your local health centre (vårdcentral). All municipalities have their own health centres where you can get primary health care that includes consultations with general practitioners. You have to pay for the consultation; the fee depends on your citizenship/residence status. 1177 Vårdguiden is run by Stockholm County Council and can give you information on where to seek help. You can also call the non-emergency health care information hotline 1177. The closest vårdcentral to Strix and Pax in Solna are Huvudsta vårdcentral or Capio Vårdcentral Solna. The closest vårdcentral to Jägargatan is Rosenlunds vårdcentral. For fast access to medical treatment, dental care and other areas of healthcare you can also visit Cityakuten, close to Hötorget in central Stockholm. To find out more about the different health care centres and local emergency wards, please visit the Stockholm Health Care Guide (1177 Vårdguiden).

Capio vårdcentral Solna 
Huvudsta vårdcentral
Rosenlunds vårdcentral 
Cityakuten - for fast access to medical treatment

Student Health Centre at KI

Students at Karolinska Institutet with study-related illnesses or injuries have access to the Student Health Centre (Studenthälsan). The Student Health Centre also offers preventive health care, medical advice and medical care as well as consultations and group activities associated with issues facing students at Karolinska Institutet.

Student Health Centre

Dental Care

Dental care is expensive, also for Swedish citizens. If you have a Swedish personal identity number (personnummer) and are registered at the Swedish Social Insurance Office, you are eligible for benefits for some dental care procedures. EU/EEA citizens are entitled to use the emergency dental care services on the same basis as Swedish citizens, provided they are covered by health insurance in their home country and can present the EHIC. Remember that the cost of dental care is not fixed, so you should always ask your dentist how much the treatment will cost before it starts. The Dental Public Service is Folktandvården. The dental school at Karolinska Institutet provides student treatment for 150 SEK per visit, book your appointment on 08- 524 880 37.

The Dental Public Service in Stockholm
Dental school at Karolinska Institutet (in Swedish)

Introduction Week

An introduction week for international students is arranged the week before the semester starts. The next introduction week will take place during 22-26 August 2016. Once you have been accepted for exchange studies at Karolinska Institutet, you will receive an invitation and a link to sign up. For students arriving at other times will receive a short individual introduction from your international coordinator at Karolinska Institutet.

(Medical) Swedish Language

All students admitted to Karolinska Institutet as exchange students are entitled to sign up for a free Swedish Language course upon arrival. You will receive a link through which you can register for a course once you have received your Letter of Acceptance.

If you want to prepare yourself in advance there are several online language learning resources, both free of charge and those that costs money.

Karolinska Institutet participated in producing MedineLingua, an EU-funded project that aims to be a comprehensive resource to support learning of medical languages, and to prepare students and doctors for clinical work at hospitals. It includes (medical) dictionaries, anatomy charts, abbreviations and much more in several European languages. You can download most of the charts to your smart phone, for use during your exchange period abroad.

Other sites where you can learn a bit of Swedish before your arrival are:

Learning Swedish

Svenska för alla - A crash course in Swedish (Facebook and YouTube)

MRSA Screening

For students taking part in clinical education during their exchange, screening for MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) is required before performing any intimate procedures. The screening must be carried out as soon as possible upon arrival at the Student Health Centre at Karolinska Institutet. Please note that the screening upon arrival in Sweden must be done regardless of previous screening in your home country. For more information, please contact the Student Health Centre.

Student Health Centre


In Stockholm it is easy to get from one place to another compared to many other big cities. Public transport is well developed, with the metro, commuting trains and buses; and bicycles are also very common as there are many cycle paths in and around the city.

Transportation to and from Airports

Stockholm Arlanda Airport

Stockholm Arlanda Airport is the main international airport in Stockholm, located 40 km north of Stockholm. Airport coaches take about 45 minutes. Arlanda Express is a high-speed train which will take you between Arlanda and Stockholm Central Station in only 20 minutes. A number of taxi companies have fixed prices to and from Arlanda. You can also take the commuting train to/from Arlanda and Stockholm Central Station.

Stockholm Bromma Airport

Stockholm Bromma Airport is situated 8 km west of Stockholm, accessible with airport coaches or by using Stockholm local transportation (SL). Taxi services with fixed prices are also available from Bromma Airport.

Stockholm Skavsta Airport

Stockholm Skavsta Airport iis located 100 km south of Stockholm. Airport coaches will take you to Stockholm city.

Public Transport

Public transport in Stockholm is run by SL. Metro stations are marked with a ”T” and commuter train stations are marked with a ”J”. The easiest way to travel with public transport is to buy a 30-day travel card, the SL card. The travel card enables you to travel by bus, metro and commuter trains throughout the county of Stockholm. SL has discounted student prices for students taking at least 22.5 ECTS per semester at Karolinska Institutet.

Student Travel Card

If you study at KI and are taking a minimum of 22.5 ECTS credits, you are eligible for a student travel card (Mecenat card). The student travel card is available for 30 days (490 SEK)  or 90 days (1400 SEK). When travelling and at ticket inspection, you are required to show your ID card and the student card Mecenatkortet, carrying the SL logo.

How to reach Karolinska Institutet
Stockholm Public Transport (SL)

Shuttle Service at Karolinska Institutet

A free shuttle service connecting Campus Solna and Campus Flemingsberg operates on weekdays. The journey takes approximately 30 minutes, depending on the traffic situation. To access the buses you need to show your KI card. Visit for details.


There are many taxi companies in Stockholm and taxis are easy to find. Beware of scam companies though, so called “black taxis”. The easiest way to order a taxi is to call the taxi company’s switchboards. The major taxi companies are:

Taxi Stockholm
Taxi 020
Taxi Kurir


An easy way to get around Stockholm is to travel by bike. Bicycle paths and bicycle lanes are constantly developed, and the city council encourages biking. You can either buy your own bike or, if you are here during the snow free season, use the city bikes that are accessible at a cheap cost.

Stockholm City Bikes

Weather in Stockholm

Check out the weather forecast before your arrival to Sweden.

Visa and Residence Permit

Students From Outside the EU/EEA

Students from outside the EU/EEA, who intend to stay in Sweden for a period longer than three months, must apply for a residence permit for studies (uppehållstillstånd). The permit must be issued before entry to Sweden. It is very important that you apply for a residence permit as soon as you receive notification of your admission. The responsible authority in Sweden is the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket). Please visit their website for details regarding the regulations and the application procedure.

Rules for students from outside the EU/EEA

A person who is in Sweden for a period of less than three months does not need a residence permit. However, citizens of certain countries must have a visa. You apply for visa at the Swedish embassy or a Swedish consulate in your home country or in your country of residence.

Swedish embassies and consulates

Students From EU/EEA and Switzerland

As an EU citizen you have the right to work, study or live in Sweden without a residence permit.

Rules for students from EU/EEA and Switzerland

Extension of Residence Permit

A residence permit is granted for one year at a time. If the period of study is less than one year you will be granted a residence permit that is valid for the length of the study period. If you have been enrolled for continued full-time studies and have your support secured, you can apply for an extension of your residence permit.

Work During Studies

Foreign students are allowed to work in Sweden during their period of study. No additional work permit is required. However, please be aware that it is difficult to find a part-time job in Stockholm, especially if you do not speak Swedish.

Working in Sweden

The Local - job ads in Stockholm