As a student at Karolinska Institutet, you can apply for an Erasmus+ traineeship scholarship for a degree project or a traineeship at a company, training/research centre or other organisation in an EU/EEA/acceding country. This is a good opportunity to gain work experience within your field of studies that will enrich both your future studies as well as your future professional life.
There are two different ways of carrying out your Erasmus+ traineeship:
- Within the framework of your thesis. You will be registered in Ladok and examined at KI, but collect data for your thesis at an eligible organisation/company. Your supervisor at KI must approve of your traineeship period/data collection.
- Outside your ordinary study programme and without contact person at KI. You cannot transfer any credits for your traineeship, but it will be noted in your Diploma Supplement when taking out your degree from KI. It is possible to carry out an Erasmus+ traineeship after having finished your studies at KI, but you must apply for the traineeship scholarship during your final semester at KI while still being a student here. You will have to wait to take out your degree until after the traineeship period is finished.
Finding a traineeship
You are responsible for finding your own traineeship - you can often ask for assistance from your supervisor or other teaching staff on your study programme. You can also contact the company/organisation that you are interested in directly with a query or seek internships that are advertised on a company's/organisation's website. Once you have succeeded in finding a traineeship you are welcome to apply for an Erasmus+ traineeship scholarship.
ESN, the Erasmus Student Network, has opened Erasmusintern.org, a brand new, non-for-profit web platform which provides an integrated marketplace bringing together internationally minded internship providers and individuals seeking a trainee period opportunity abroad.
Organisations NOT entitled to host students for Erasmus+ traineeship:
- EU institutions and other EU agencies (the offices of the political parties at the EU Parliament do not count as part of the EU Parliament and are therefore eligible hosts
- Organisations managing EU programmes, e.g. national agencies and international offices at higher education institutions
- Public establishments from the student's home country, e. g. diplomatic establishments (embassies and consulates), cultural institutes, regional offices
International students studying in Sweden can be granted Erasmus+ scholarships for traineeship conducted at Swedish public establishments abroad. Note that it is generally not possible to conduct a traineeship at a higher education institution (university college/university), as that would usually be considered as studies. However, exceptions are allowed if the traineeship is taking place at a university laboratory where you as a student are collecting data for your thesis or project under supervision of a researcher/research group or if you are working as a trainee, not studying.
You can apply for an Erasmus+ scholarship for a traineeship in any of the 27 EU member states, including certain associated regions, the EFTA countries (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) and in Croatia and Turkey. Even some islands and other areas outside of Europe that belong to or have a connection to the EU are eligible for traineeships (i.e. Réunion, Martinique, the Azores, Greenland, French Polynesia, Aruba). Switzerland is NOT on the programme, and as you are studying in Sweden you cannot apply for a scholarship in Sweden.
Terms and Conditions
To be eligible to apply for a traineeship scholarship within the framework of the Erasmus+ programme you must:
- be registered as a student at Karolinska Institutet
- carry out the traineeship before taking out your degree certificate
- have agreed with a company or organisation that you will carry out the traineeship for 2 to 12 months within the contract period (1 June - 30 Sept the following year). The traineeship should be carried out in one single location over a continuous period of time
- have received a signed "Learning Agreement" from the company/organisation
- ensure that the traineeship is will be recognised in your Diploma Supplement within your study programme at KI
- carry out your training in an approved country and at a place approved by the Erasmus+ programme
- apply for the scholarship before or just after the traineeship period has begun. No scholarship can be granted after completion of the traineeship period
- follow the conditions stipulated in the Erasmus+ traineeship application and in the contracts to be drawn up
You commit to:
- return the scholarship if, through a misunderstanding or for some other reason, you have incorrectly stated that you meet the requirements for the scholarship
- return the unused portion of the scholarship if the practical training is terminated early
- submit an evaluation report on the traineeship carried out, no later than one month after returning to Sweden
The Erasmus+ scholarship amounts to ca 450 €/per month. Information on the exact amount granted is given after acceptance into the programme. The EUR/SEK exchange rate is set on the date KI is allocated the scholarships and payments are made in SEK. 80% of the scholarship is received in the first instalment after the contract has been completed. Payment of the remaining 20% is made after the traineeship period has ended and when you have submitted a certificate of the completed traineeship and submitted in the compulsory evaluation.
Application for Erasmus+ scholarship
Applications for Erasmus+ traineeship should be handed in as soon as possible, minimum one month before the traineeship period begins. Note that there is a limited number of scholarships available, decided on a first come, first served basis. The application form states the annexes to be attached to the application. Send the completed application to the contact below. A decision is notified within a period of approximately one month. The following documents should be attached to your application
- The form "Application Erasmus+ Traineeship"
- A complete filled in and signed "Learning Agreement for traineeship", where the organisation/company confirms that you have been accepted for the traineeship
- A Ladok transcript from Karolinska Institutet which certifies completed studies and, where appropriate, certificates from other educational institutions
The documents are found at the end of this page. Please submit your application for Erasmus+ traineeship to the international coordinator at your study programme at Karolinska Institutet.
What happens next?
Nomination and selection procedures
A decision on allocating scholarships will be made by an international coordinator in cooperation with your study programme. Within a month from submitting your application, you should receive a decision.
At the end of the traineeship period, your supervisor must fill in the "Traineeship certificate" and you have to write an evaluation report. When this has been completed and a certificate of completed placement has been submitted, the instalment of the remaining scholarship will be made. Thereafter your traineeship will be registered in Ladok as a basis for the Diploma Supplement.
Important information before going abroad
Read more on about practical matters to consider before leaving, such as health care, insurance etc. As an Erasmus+ traineeship student you will be covered by the KI general insurance policy Student UT.
For questions regarding Erasmus+ traineeship please contact the international coordinator at the Education Support Office