Checklist for when leaving Karolinska Institutet

Graduating soon and needing to wrap things up at Karolinska Institutet and in Stockholm? Follow the checklist on this page.


Graduation ceremony

Students graduating from the Global Master's and Bachelor's Programmes and all students who have taken a licentiate degree are welcome to a ceremony at Karolinska Institutet in May or June every year. This year's ceremony will be held at 5pm on Thursday, 1 June in the Erling Persson’s Hall, Aula Medica at KI Campus Solna. An official invitation will have been sent out to you via email, so do check your inbox, including your SPAM filter. Read more about the graduation ceremony.

Degree certificates

A degree certificate is issued to students who have completed their programme. However, you must apply for a degree certificate from Karolinska Institutet in order to receive one. The degree certificate is free of charge.

Read more on the degrees page

Transcript of records

A transcript of records is a summary of a student's academic performance and progress. Swedish transcript of records are held in the database Ladok. If a student has completed their degree, this will also be stated on the transcript of records.

Students can view their own transcript of records in Ladok online (Swedish only) throughout their studies and also request their official academic transcripts at no cost, at any time and as many times as they want.

Keep track of KI accounts and cards about to run out

Email and PingPong

Your email and PingPong accounts will be active for 6 months after you have completed your studies. Make sure that important PingPong documents are downloaded to your hard drive and that important emails are forwarded to your new address before this time. After the 6 months are up you will not be able to retrieve any documents or emails.

Student access card/KIcard

Your student access card is valid for as long as you are a student at Karolinska Institutet. The expiry date is stated on the card. Cards that are no longer used must be returned to the library, in accordance with the KIcard-agreement.

University Library - physical and electronic

Visiting researchers/students are granted a library card during the time they attend a Swedish university. If you belong to this group, your card will cease to be valid when your studies at Karolinska Institutet are finished. If you are staying in Sweden after your studies finish and have a valid Swedish ID card, you may extend the validity of your library card on a year-by-year basis.

Remote access to the library services is also limited to when you are a student at Karolinska Institutet. This means that you cannot access articles and LADOK on the university library webpages outside of the Karolinska Institutet network.

Close your bank account

Remember to close your bank account before you leave, or unnecessary fees may incur. You do this by visiting your local branch in person.

Keep in touch! - KI Alumni

Being a member of KI Alumni and friends can help you preserve old memories, make new ones, keep updated with the happenings at Karolinska Institutet and boost your career.

Notify the Tax Office

If you are moving out of Sweden and are intending to be away for a year or more, you need to notify the Swedish Tax Office (Skatteverket).

You do this by filling out the form 'Notification, moving abroad' and sending it to Skatteverket.

Download the form and send it to:

Skatteverkets inläsningscentral
FE 2005
205 76 Malmö

Notify the Pensions Agency

If you have been working in Sweden for a longer period of time you may need to contact the Pensions Agency regarding international issues relating to pension.

Start your career

A master's degree at Karolinska Institutet opens doors to both PhD/Doctoral studies and in the public and private sectors. Read more about career opportunities after your master's degree on Career service or Doctoral education.