Agenda NIH and KI Joint Neuroscience Symposium 2017
You are cordially invited to participate in the National Institutes of Health and Karolinska Institutet Joint Neuroscience Symposium, March 23-24, 2017 at Karolinska Institutet.
Preliminary Symposium Content
- Keynote Speaker: Dr. Susan G. Amara, Scientific Director of the Intramural Research Program at the National Institute of Mental Health
- Presentation of the KI–NIH Doctoral Partnership Program in Neuroscience
- Selected talks by students in the KI–NIH program
- Faculty presentations from NIH and KI
- Poster presentations by students in the KI–NIH program
- Funding announcements
- Social events, mingle and network opportunities
The Objectives of the Symposium is to Create
- A platform for collaborations between NIH and KI researchers within neuroscience
- Interest for the KI-NIH Doctoral Partnership Program in Neuroscience
- Opportunity for KI-NIH students to present their doctoral projects
Susan G. Amara is currently the Scientific Director of the Intramural Research Program at the National Institute of Mental Health. Work in her laboratory has focused on the structure, function, and cellular physiology of neurotransmitter transporters, including the biogenic amine transporters, major targets for psychostimulant drugs and antidepressants. She received a BS from Stanford University, a PhD in Physiology and Pharmacology from the University of California, San Diego and has previously held faculty positions at Yale University School of Medicine, at the Vollum Institute in Portland Oregon and as a Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator at Yale and in Oregon. Prior to moving to NIH she served as the Thomas Detre Chair of Neurobiology and Distinguished Professor at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. She is a member of the National Academy of Sciences (2004), a fellow of the AAAS (2007) and a past-President of the Society for Neuroscience (2011).